Author Topic: How to return IPTC from xmp back into image header?  (Read 4043 times)

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
How to return IPTC from xmp back into image header?
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:17:21 AM »

Since Capture One 4 unfortunately cannot handle NEF with IPTC I needed to strip the NEFs by using PM's "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original" function.

I let PM back up the IPTC to xmp sidecar files. Is there a way to get the IPTC information back into the NEFs from the xmp sidecar files?

---------
Cheers!
Thomas

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to return IPTC from xmp back into image header?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:07:04 AM »
Thomas,

Since Capture One 4 unfortunately cannot handle NEF with IPTC I needed to strip the NEFs by using PM's "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original" function.

Since they're currently in beta with Capture One version 4, please contact them and tell them to fix their parsing of RAW files!  Now is the time for them to fix it!!!

Quote from: TGeist
I let PM back up the IPTC to xmp sidecar files. Is there a way to get the IPTC information back into the NEFs from the xmp sidecar files?

Sure, you can tell PM to embed IPTC and/or XMP into your TIFF-based RAW files via the Preferences dialog's IPTC/XMP tab.  Then use the IPTC Stationery Pad to apply something to one of your unused fields and this will cause the metadata to be embedded back into your NEF files.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:38:38 PM »
Thomas,

Since they're currently in beta with Capture One version 4, please contact them and tell them to fix their parsing of RAW files!  Now is the time for them to fix it!!!

-Kirk

Phase One refrains from calling this a bug. They guarantee proper processing only for "untouched" files. This excludes even NEFs saved by Nikon Capture!

Hmm ...

---------
Cheers!
Thomas

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
Thomas,

Phase One refrains from calling this a bug. They guarantee proper processing only for "untouched" files. This excludes even NEFs saved by Nikon Capture!

Hmm ...

Well that's really too bad.  It wouldn't take very long to write a little more code into their parser to follow the links in the data structures in the RAW files instead of using hard-coded offsets.

They will likely lose sales over such an attitude.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 11:02:28 AM »
They will likely lose sales over such an attitude.

It is absolutely sure! Their previus versions simply manage keyboard poorly. If their app is in full screen (even if running in the background) and I use any other program - like this browser I write my post at the time - the cursor keys and a lot more simply do not react in my active window but in the Phase One program. If I minimize that the problem no longer exists. No such problem with any software so they are to be blamed. And if this (and other small bugs like the above) won't be corrected I will turn away from them.

Camera Bits on the other hands has a great customer service! Is there a way to vote you on this field Kirk? You should receive an award for this great job. You don't allways make come true every one of our wishes, but at least you take the time to tell why. And it is mostly acceptable. But it is more often you simply announce it is allready there...
;-)))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com