Author Topic: Long pause for ingest with Leopard  (Read 5247 times)

Offline mjterrill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Long pause for ingest with Leopard
« on: November 08, 2007, 12:58:41 AM »
Since upgrading to Leopard, I've noticed that there is an extremely long pause before the progress bar starts at the beginning of ingest. This occurred with 4.5.2 and the current beta. Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Mark J. Terrill
Associated Press

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Long pause for ingest with Leopard
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 05:45:29 AM »
Mark,

Since upgrading to Leopard, I've noticed that there is an extremely long pause before the progress bar starts at the beginning of ingest. This occurred with 4.5.2 and the current beta. Any suggestions?

How long is "extremely long"?  I'll look into it.

-Kirk

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 05:59:32 AM »
I have experienced a longer pause as well, both in 4.5.3 and 4.5.2 but it started when I got the Sandisk FW card reader.
I have another colleague reporting the same with his FW reader.
It is not slower overall, only when it starts ingesting, then it is much faster then my previous USB 2 reader.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 06:23:32 AM »
I have experienced a longer pause as well, both in 4.5.3 and 4.5.2 but it started when I got the Sandisk FW card reader.
I have another colleague reporting the same with his FW reader.
It is not slower overall, only when it starts ingesting, then it is much faster then my previous USB 2 reader.

I have verified that the scanning phase is taking a lot longer on Leopard than on Tiger.  On a mostly empty card (350MB used out of 4GB) it takes 14 seconds for the scanning phase on Leopard.  The same card takes less than two seconds on Tiger.

I'll see what I can do.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 06:59:02 AM »
Mark,

I rewrote some of the scanning code and am pleased to report that it is much faster.  On a test card with only 370MB of photos on it, the scan time on Leopard was 13.649 seconds.  On the improved version the scan time is 0.004 seconds and is basically instantaneous.

The improvement can be seen on both Leopard and Tiger.  (And Windows XP/Vista since the code is the same.)

Thanks for the heads-up,

-Kirk

Offline bdigital2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 03:11:28 PM »
Using 4.5.3 beta on an Intel iMac running Leopard, using a firewire reader, the ingest took around 3 minutes before it started to ingest the images.  This was with a card that had about 1.3g of images. 

Did you rewrite the scanning code for the 4.5.3 beta, or have you not released the improved update beta yet?  If you rewrote the code for 4.5.3 beta, and idea why I am still getting such a long pause?

Thanks

Ryan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 04:39:32 PM »
Ryan,

Using 4.5.3 beta on an Intel iMac running Leopard, using a firewire reader, the ingest took around 3 minutes before it started to ingest the images.  This was with a card that had about 1.3g of images. 

Did you rewrite the scanning code for the 4.5.3 beta, or have you not released the improved update beta yet?  If you rewrote the code for 4.5.3 beta, and idea why I am still getting such a long pause?

The changes I made were yesterday.  The beta you're using predates the changes I made.

-Kirk

Offline mjterrill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 09:25:58 PM »
Mark,

I rewrote some of the scanning code and am pleased to report that it is much faster.  On a test card with only 370MB of photos on it, the scan time on Leopard was 13.649 seconds.  On the improved version the scan time is 0.004 seconds and is basically instantaneous.

The improvement can be seen on both Leopard and Tiger.  (And Windows XP/Vista since the code is the same.)

Thanks for the heads-up,

-Kirk

Kirk,

Thanks a lot! Well done.

Mark