Author Topic: Variable for size of embedded JPG in Nikon NEF?  (Read 6069 times)

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
Variable for size of embedded JPG in Nikon NEF?
« on: November 11, 2007, 08:41:58 AM »
I'm in the beginning phases of cataloging 100K Nikon NEF images.  Some of my NEF files have small embedded JPG preview images.  I would like to find an easy way to identify them (other than scrolling through all the images or extracting all the JPGs).  Is there a variable that indicates the size of the embedded JPG image?

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Variable for size of embedded JPG in Nikon NEF?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:03:53 AM »
Neil,

I'm in the beginning phases of cataloging 100K Nikon NEF images.  Some of my NEF files have small embedded JPG preview images.  I would like to find an easy way to identify them (other than scrolling through all the images or extracting all the JPGs).  Is there a variable that indicates the size of the embedded JPG image?

No, there are no variables that will expose the size of the embedded JPEG preview.  The command-line driven ExifTool can extract and display that sort of information:

exiftool _MG_6642.CR2 | grep "Image Size"

Canon Image Size                : Unknown (-1)
Image Size                      : 1536x1024

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 11:25:35 AM »
I know this forum is not for that purpose but does anyone know how to change the embedded image size on a Canon 1D mark II? On 10D it was a menu (or Custom Functions) item, but I couldn't find a setting for this in the mark2.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline nancyr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:50:27 AM »
Another alternative might be to run Nikon's Preview creator, found in the Nikon software folder (/Applications/Nikon Software/Nikon View 6/NPrevCreator3, on a Mac). It creates 1600px previews for older Nikons that don't (D1 series) and automatically skips NEFs that have them already. It's part of Nikon View 6 and works fine with NX present. Good luck!

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 09:06:50 AM »
Another alternative might be to run Nikon's Preview creator, found in the Nikon software folder (/Applications/Nikon Software/Nikon View 6/NPrevCreator3, on a Mac). It creates 1600px previews for older Nikons that don't (D1 series) and automatically skips NEFs that have them already. It's part of Nikon View 6 and works fine with NX present. Good luck!

Thanks fir the idea.  I prefer not to use that utility because the rendering time is about the same as a full Capture render and I'd like to end up with full size previews after investing all that machine time.  Preview Creator would make the process much simpler, though.  It's a shame Nikon did not do that right, and then deprecated a similar feature in teh Transfer ingest app, which is going to cause problems down the road when D2H and D1 shooters add a new body (D3/D3000?) that isn't supported by that old software.  I may end up having to ingest different camera images with different software, which is going to cause problems maintaining a unique sequence number across bodies.