Author Topic: Jpeg embedding  (Read 7798 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Jpeg embedding
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
Kirk,

I believe you mentioned that jpeg embedding (reverse of Extract Jpeg Preview) was on the list of features you planned to implement.  Will it be in 4.5.3?

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Jpeg embedding
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »
Deven,

I believe you mentioned that jpeg embedding (reverse of Extract Jpeg Preview) was on the list of features you planned to implement.  Will it be in 4.5.3?

No such feature is on my list to implement.  What thread did I speak of this idea?

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 12:41:26 PM »
I found a reference about half way down this thread:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1820.msg8312#msg8312

But I thought there was another thread were more than one user requested this feature which is available in Nikon View.

Since it doesn't sound like this feature will make the cut, let me ask if a question that will help me better understand how PM works with raw files: Whenever PM saves IPTC and ratings info it just saves it in the raw files embedded jpg and therefore leaves everything else in the raw file the same?

If so, is there any way that PM can resize or change the quality of the embedded jpg?

Deven

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 02:23:21 PM »
It was probably this thread here...

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1810.msg9986#msg9986

Where I asked for JPG embedding.  I shoot a D2H and I cannot use PM's ingest because I need to embed the in-camera JPG in the NEFs.  In that thread, there is a suggestion that it would be done in 4.6.

Now Kirk is going to come back and say it was one of my other brilliant suggestions that he acknowledged would go into 4.6.  But, Deven, you and I know that he really did promise us embedded JPGs in 4.6.   ;D

(can't blame a guy for trying... I really want this feature.  After looking at workflow and new workflow software for quite a while, I came to the conclusion that the only sensible thing to do is to save all my 50K D2H NEF's in Capture, which would take 6 months of over night processing.  I only recently discovered Capture 4.4's ingest option)

Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:25:48 PM »
Deven,

I found a reference about half way down this thread:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1820.msg8312#msg8312

But I thought there was another thread were more than one user requested this feature which is available in Nikon View.

That thread was about showing some sort of indicator that an image had been adjusted by Capture NX.  Similar to the soft-rotation indicator in the thumbnail cells.

Quote from: devenh
Since it doesn't sound like this feature will make the cut, let me ask if a question that will help me better understand how PM works with raw files: Whenever PM saves IPTC and ratings info it just saves it in the raw files embedded jpg and therefore leaves everything else in the raw file the same?

If so, is there any way that PM can resize or change the quality of the embedded jpg?

No.  Photo Mechanic would have to have RAW rendering system and have the ability to adjust the proprietary (and undocumented) Nikon maker note.  PM is in general not a RAW rendering application (we do have the ability to take advantage of Apple's Image I/O to render RAW images but there are no adjustments and this is a Mac-only feature) so where would we get this larger JPEG preview?

I hope this helps explain things.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:31:04 PM »
Neil,

It was probably this thread here...

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1810.msg9986#msg9986

Where I asked for JPG embedding.  I shoot a D2H and I cannot use PM's ingest because I need to embed the in-camera JPG in the NEFs.  In that thread, there is a suggestion that it would be done in 4.6.

Now Kirk is going to come back and say it was one of my other brilliant suggestions that he acknowledged would go into 4.6.  But, Deven, you and I know that he really did promise us embedded JPGs in 4.6.   ;D

(can't blame a guy for trying... I really want this feature.  After looking at workflow and new workflow software for quite a while, I came to the conclusion that the only sensible thing to do is to save all my 50K D2H NEF's in Capture, which would take 6 months of over night processing.  I only recently discovered Capture 4.4's ingest option)

No.  I'll take better care to edit what I am replying to in the future.  What we would like to implement in 4.6 is the ability to use the 'newer' version of the RAW+JPEG pair for display purposes.  Not the ability to embed larger previews.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:12:05 PM »
No.  Photo Mechanic would have to have RAW rendering system and have the ability to adjust the proprietary (and undocumented) Nikon maker note.  PM is in general not a RAW rendering application (we do have the ability to take advantage of Apple's Image I/O to render RAW images but there are no adjustments and this is a Mac-only feature) so where would we get this larger JPEG preview?

I probably was not clear enough -- I know PM doesn't render the raw image, but what I was asking was could PM adjust the embedded jpg (e.g. change the size and/or quality) simply be reading the embedded jpg, changing it, and then writing it back?  The reason I ask is that Capture NX has an annoying habit of saving a very high quality full size (the size can be controlled) embedded jpg into the NEF file after an edit.  If PM could change the quality of the embedded jpg from high to good balance, that would save a lot of space.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 10:22:38 PM »
Deven,

I probably was not clear enough -- I know PM doesn't render the raw image, but what I was asking was could PM adjust the embedded jpg (e.g. change the size and/or quality) simply be reading the embedded jpg, changing it, and then writing it back?  The reason I ask is that Capture NX has an annoying habit of saving a very high quality full size (the size can be controlled) embedded jpg into the NEF file after an edit.  If PM could change the quality of the embedded jpg from high to good balance, that would save a lot of space.

This would still require updating undocumented data in the Nikon maker note.  We don't yet even know if this is feasible.

Large capacity hard drives are so cheap now that the savings in the JPEG previews just wouldn't be all that worthwhile.  (At this time one can obtain a 750GB drive for well less than $200.00...)

-Kirk