Author Topic: Hide unselected images during preview/slideshow mode?  (Read 3024 times)

Offline camo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hide unselected images during preview/slideshow mode?
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:43:01 PM »
I've just signed up with PM. Thanks for a beaut bit of software! I know it's going to save me tons of time in selecting images.

I shoot weddings and use Lightroom to convert Raw. I have come to PM for the speed with which I can select from many hundreds of images using reliable, immediate, sharp 100% (and zoom to fit in a click) previews. Lightroom was costing me many hours every week waiting for it to render images. Once I've done my selections I'll use PM for metadata clean up and then import the files into Lightroom for Raw processing.

So onto my question... LR has a nice feature set of colour & star ratings. When in Loupe (same as PM preview I guess)  mode we set it so the photo will disappear if a zero (no star) rating is applied. This way, thru a process of elimination, we keep selecting any of the bad shots as zeros and they disappear from Loupe View. Of course they're not deleted but out of view. On a bad day I can have heaps of zeros!  :(

So far I've read that the PM rating system is new in Slideshow mode so understandably this feature might not exist. I can only get it going in preview mode if I go thru & pick my junk zeros. Go back to thumb view, refresh or re-tick the show/don't show zero stars to off, and then go to preview mode again. The zero preview will be gone. BUT is there a way to have the zero rated photos disappear straight away in preview.

Understandably this might apply for any ratings system, mine's just simple using zeros.

Hope you can help?

PS... I just learned (before signing up) that the ratings were compatible with Bridge via a change in preferences. You guys should really make this known as it was why I didn't get PM ages ago. Maybe if you can get ratings to also work with Lightroom you'll be even more unreal to me. Then you could come out with a Raw converter as fast as PM and send your share price thru the roof!  :o

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Hide unselected images during preview/slideshow mode?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:28:08 PM »
I've just signed up with PM. Thanks for a beaut bit of software! I know it's going to save me tons of time in selecting images.

I shoot weddings and use Lightroom to convert Raw. I have come to PM for the speed with which I can select from many hundreds of images using reliable, immediate, sharp 100% (and zoom to fit in a click) previews. Lightroom was costing me many hours every week waiting for it to render images. Once I've done my selections I'll use PM for metadata clean up and then import the files into Lightroom for Raw processing.

So onto my question... LR has a nice feature set of colour & star ratings. When in Loupe (same as PM preview I guess)  mode we set it so the photo will disappear if a zero (no star) rating is applied. This way, thru a process of elimination, we keep selecting any of the bad shots as zeros and they disappear from Loupe View. Of course they're not deleted but out of view. On a bad day I can have heaps of zeros!  :(

So far I've read that the PM rating system is new in Slideshow mode so understandably this feature might not exist. I can only get it going in preview mode if I go thru & pick my junk zeros. Go back to thumb view, refresh or re-tick the show/don't show zero stars to off, and then go to preview mode again. The zero preview will be gone. BUT is there a way to have the zero rated photos disappear straight away in preview.

There is currently no Color Class or 5-star rating filters in the Preview window.  It would be good to add them.

Quote from: camo
Understandably this might apply for any ratings system, mine's just simple using zeros.

Hope you can help?

We would have to add this to a future version of Photo Mechanic.

Quote from: camo
PS... I just learned (before signing up) that the ratings were compatible with Bridge via a change in preferences. You guys should really make this known as it was why I didn't get PM ages ago. Maybe if you can get ratings to also work with Lightroom you'll be even more unreal to me. Then you could come out with a Raw converter as fast as PM and send your share price thru the roof!  :o

They are compatible with Lightroom as well.  At least several users have told me that they work fine, but you do have to get Lightroom to reinterpret the XMP data if it has already seen the images.  There is another thread that discusses this issue but I don't have a link to it at the moment.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline camo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Hide unselected images during preview/slideshow mode?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:55:36 AM »
Kirk thanks for fast reply.

Yep, would be nice to filter in preview. One more item on the list hey. You software types must earn your money. I have enough prob's with a (@#*$@ camera!

I've just tried again (initially found negative threads & tried & failed anyway) and YES... if you import star rated files from Photo Mechanic into Lightroom you will get the stars come thru. Same for Bridge as said before. Also, any star rating changes made in Lightroom will be seen by PM (so long as you update metadata) - I have LR preference 'auto write XMP changes off' as it seems slower then I just 'save metadata to files' at the end of a big job or when backing up raw files etc. So it looks like Bridge - LR & PM are all talking to each other. Best I keep it really simple and not rock the apple cart!

Cheerios and thanks Kirk,
Cam.