Author Topic: Controlled Vocabulary  (Read 6781 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Controlled Vocabulary
« on: November 15, 2007, 11:31:29 AM »
Since I began to upload pictures to stock agencies, I spend more and more time with keywording and would like to use Riecks's CVKC-3 in PM on a WinXP machine, but have questions:

1. Does PM 4.5.2 now support the controlled vocabulary (used to be only Mac) with the new structured keyword function?

2. Can someone that uses the Riecks's CVKC-3 give me an inside if it's worth the cost? Is it only a generic starting point or how extensive does it cover different areas like travel, nature, animals etc.?

Thanks
Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Controlled Vocabulary
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »
Juerg,

Since I began to upload pictures to stock agencies, I spend more and more time with keywording and would like to use Riecks's CVKC-3 in PM on a WinXP machine, but have questions:

1. Does PM 4.5.2 now support the controlled vocabulary (used to be only Mac) with the new structured keyword function?

Yes, but the support in 4.5.3 is better (the sorting is correct.)

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 01:34:58 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

As 4.5.3 will be released tomorrow (?) that should work fine. I hope someone can give me some insights on the usfullness of the CVKC as well before I spend the money.

Another question. Let's say I have a keyword category like shown below:

NATURE
   Flower
      Orchid
         xxx
         xxx
      Rose

Now I want to change the Keyword 'Orchid' to a Category, with all keywords underneath (siblings, sysnonyms) still attached to it, is there a way to just drag it a level up (or down if necessary) in the structured keyword dialoge? Or do I have to reenter everything (or manually modify it in a editor and load the keywords new)?

Also, if I by mistake (as happened yesterday) delete a keyword with siblings/synonyms attached, is there a undo function?

Thanks,
Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 03:10:40 PM »
Juerg,

As 4.5.3 will be released tomorrow (?) that should work fine.

There will be another beta instead.

Quote from: archer69
Another question. Let's say I have a keyword category like shown below:

NATURE
   Flower
      Orchid
         xxx
         xxx
      Rose

Now I want to change the Keyword 'Orchid' to a Category, with all keywords underneath (siblings, sysnonyms) still attached to it, is there a way to just drag it a level up (or down if necessary) in the structured keyword dialoge?

No, but you can right click on it and change it into a Category item in place.

Or do I have to reenter everything (or manually modify it in a editor and load the keywords new)?

There is no drag and drop reordering of the tree.  I will likely add such a feature at some point.  Your best bet is to save your set, edit it in a text editor, and the load it back in again.

Also, if I by mistake (as happened yesterday) delete a keyword with siblings/synonyms attached, is there a undo function?

No.

-Kirk

Offline k_bennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 05:40:48 AM »
If I might make a suggestion about the Structured Keywords panel:

Create your hierarchical keyword list in a text editor -- Microsoft Word is fine, for example. Use the Tabs to create the hierarchy, and use commas to create synonyms, like so:

sports
     football
     soccer
     basketball,hoops
     hockey
          ice hockey
          field hockey

Save this file as a text document, and use the Load button in the Structured Keywords panel to import it. (NOTE: THIS WILL WIPE OUT ANYTHING YOU'VE DONE INSIDE THE PANEL.) If you need to make any changes to your Keywords, just open the text document, make those changes, and re-Load it.

It's a lot easier to make wholesale changes in your keywords this way.

--Ken

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 06:48:24 AM »
If I might make a suggestion about the Structured Keywords panel:

Create your hierarchical keyword list in a text editor -- Microsoft Word is fine, for example. Use the Tabs to create the hierarchy, and use commas to create synonyms, like so:

I'm not a Microsoft Word user, but a little caution: the text file format needs to be UTF-8 encoded.  If you're not using any non-ASCII (0-9, A-Z, a-z, and punctuation only) then it won't matter.  But if you're entering accented characters or characters from a language like Japanese, Chinese, etc. then it is imperative that you use a text editor that can write out UTF-8 encoded text.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »
Kirk,

...it is imperative that you use a text editor that can write out UTF-8 encoded text.

-Kirk

I use the UTF-8 text editor you suggested once (forgott the name).

I purchased the Riecks's CVKC-3 for PM yesterday evening and tried to load it. I ran into a problem. The catalog has a *.UTF8 (or something similar) file extension which does not show up in the 'load' dialoge of the PM structured keyword panel. One has first to change the Riecks's CVKC-3 file extension to *.txt before it can be loaded into PM.

Not sure if that's an oversight on PM's side, CVKV side, or a misscomunication between the two companies. I will let Riecks know as well.

Regards,
Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 06:52:25 PM »
Juerg,

...it is imperative that you use a text editor that can write out UTF-8 encoded text.

I use the UTF-8 text editor you suggested once (forgott the name).

I purchased the Riecks's CVKC-3 for PM yesterday evening and tried to load it. I ran into a problem. The catalog has a *.UTF8 (or something similar) file extension which does not show up in the 'load' dialoge of the PM structured keyword panel. One has first to change the Riecks's CVKC-3 file extension to *.txt before it can be loaded into PM.

Not sure if that's an oversight on PM's side, CVKV side, or a misscomunication between the two companies. I will let Riecks know as well.

I informed David Riecks a week ago about this issue.  I think he will address it soon and change it to .UTF8.txt...

-Kirk