Author Topic: Linux Support  (Read 16856 times)

Offline mattkirwan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Matt Kirwan
Linux Support
« on: November 15, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »
As a Linux user and professional photographer, will there ever be a linux compatible version of Photo Mechanic? Not all GNU/Linux users are looking for open source software, there is certainly a gap in the photography market for this - I for one will be willing to pay for PM to be ported and still closed source.

Regards, a frustrated photographer.

Matt Kirwan
http://www.mattkirwan.co.uk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Linux Support
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »
Matt,

As a Linux user and professional photographer, will there ever be a linux compatible version of Photo Mechanic? Not all GNU/Linux users are looking for open source software, there is certainly a gap in the photography market for this - I for one will be willing to pay for PM to be ported and still closed source.

It is unlikely unless we hear from many, many more people like yourself.

Maybe WINE would work?

-Kirk

Offline caleb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:02:35 PM »
Kirk,

It sounds like Matt and I are in the same situation.  I've tried Wine on Ubuntu 7.10 but after clicking the "Continue to Demo" button on the first dialog there is a delay and finally the following error:

"Error: Photo Mechanic Scripting Engine failed to initialize.  (Reason: unknown exception.)  If problem persists, try reinstalling Photo Mechanic.  Application will now exit."

If PM worked well under Wine I'd be your newest customer :)

Caleb

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
Caleb,

It sounds like Matt and I are in the same situation.  I've tried Wine on Ubuntu 7.10 but after clicking the "Continue to Demo" button on the first dialog there is a delay and finally the following error:

"Error: Photo Mechanic Scripting Engine failed to initialize.  (Reason: unknown exception.)  If problem persists, try reinstalling Photo Mechanic.  Application will now exit."

If PM worked well under Wine I'd be your newest customer :)

It sounds like Ruby (our scripting language) doesn't run under Wine.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »
How about running PM in a Virtual Machine, would that be a possible solution in this case?

Hope this helps,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 03:59:05 AM »
whats about using windows?

I'm  sure, nobody wants hear that, but I was also a former frustatet linux-user, now since many years happy windows 2k/xp :)

my server and firewall machines of course runs still Free-/OpenBSD.
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline giolight

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 04:26:34 AM »
Matt,

-Kirk

I'm one more

Offline jknights

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »
I would like a Linux version that runs on Fedora10.
 :)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 01:19:01 PM »
whats about using windows?

I'm  sure, nobody wants hear that, but I was also a former frustatet linux-user, now since many years happy windows 2k/xp :)

my server and firewall machines of course runs still Free-/OpenBSD.

I get more frustrated by Win day by day so I plan to kill off all my win machines left and totally switch to Mac.
But I support multi platform and Linux seems to be the only missing piece on this side. However a Linux version could possibly draw attention, time and resource from further developments in Win and Mac systems.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline geek65535

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 12:47:31 PM »

You can add me to the list.

Maybe WINE would work?
Actually, Wine does not work right now. Perhaps Camera Bits could take a look, and modify PM to work under Wine? It should take minimal work to at least investigate why it doesn't work.
You mention yourself that it may be an issue with your scripting language of choice (Ruby) not being available. That sounds like a relatively easy fix.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 01:10:10 PM »

You can add me to the list.

Maybe WINE would work?
Actually, Wine does not work right now. Perhaps Camera Bits could take a look, and modify PM to work under Wine? It should take minimal work to at least investigate why it doesn't work.
You mention yourself that it may be an issue with your scripting language of choice (Ruby) not being available. That sounds like a relatively easy fix.

Ruby is included in the installer.  It just happens to be a Windows version of Ruby.  There is a Linux version of Ruby that could possibly be substituted (I'm not sure how WINE would handle that).

But honestly, unless a few thousand people running Linux requested support then it just wouldn't be worth the effort to support Linux.  We'd likely have to hire one or possibly two additional engineers just to support a full Linux version and they'd have to be paid from the revenue from Linux sales.

-Kirk

Offline geek65535

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 02:24:57 PM »

Ruby is included in the installer.  It just happens to be a Windows version of Ruby.  There is a Linux version of Ruby that could possibly be substituted (I'm not sure how WINE would handle that).

But honestly, unless a few thousand people running Linux requested support then it just wouldn't be worth the effort to support Linux.  We'd likely have to hire one or possibly two additional engineers just to support a full Linux version and they'd have to be paid from the revenue from Linux sales.

-Kirk

I've been playing with PM under wine, and I've seen several errors, none (currently) related to Ruby. I think that was a red herring.

I fully understand that to develop a version for Linux would be prohibitive. But there are two things here:
1) Expecting thousands of linux users to come add their names to a list on a forum (where you have to register to post, especially) is unrealistic. For every person that posted "I'd like PM to run under Linux", there are probably dozens to hundreds of Linux users that said, "Oh, PM doesn't support Linux? OK, on to Bibble Pro, then."
2) I'm not asking that CB develop a version of PM for Linux. I'm asking that one developer take a day and look at the issues keeping PM from running in wine. Then the development team can make a decision on whether it would be worth it to modify the program (or contribute to wine) to make PM work under wine. The development effort there might well be worth it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:03:20 PM by geek65535 »

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »
Add me to the list that would like to see PM running under Linux or at least Wine.

Woodie

Offline Pedro Agrelo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 03:38:34 AM »

Regards, a frustrated photographer.

Matt Kirwan
http://www.mattkirwan.co.uk

Hello, I would like to have a workflow with Photo Mechanic and linux. thanks

Offline Dimitri

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist and 3D stereo sports photographer
    • View Profile
    • Quebec Press Newsphotos
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 08:05:25 AM »
As a Linux user and professional photographer, will there ever be a linux compatible version of Photo Mechanic?

That is my, and the wish of many!

Not all GNU/Linux users are looking for open source software, there is certainly a gap in the photography market for this

Ever since you posted this message in 2007, the "gap" has started to close more and more and since 2012 Professional Photography workflow became serious as many developers started porting applications to the rock solid Linux/BSD/Unix platform.

I completely switched to Linux (more specifically to Ubuntu 13 Linux) for my professional photography workflow.  99% of the applications I need are there (except a serious/robust IPTC editor).  GIMP for Linux for professional image retouching, Rapid Photo Downloader to ingest images from cards, Scribus for Professional desktop publishing, Corel Aftershot Pro for Linux to develop RAW images  (Hats off to Corel), Geeqie for image browsing (supports all formats, even 3D stereo mpo format from Fujifilm cameras) and Filezilla to FTP.  There's even a Professional (TV Broadcast calibre) NLE video editing application for Linux, called Lightworks (After 20 years in TV studios on other platforms, it was just released on Linux some months ago!).

That is not only my wish, but the wish of many.  Just do a simple Google search for Photo Mechnanic Linux.  Sportsshooter, Linux and other photography forums speaks for itself!  (as a matter of fact, this is how I just came across this thread.)  The **ONLY** application missing from Linux to close this gap is a serious IPTC editor like Photo Mechanic.  If Photo Mechanic will be ported to Linux, then that would be the *last* piece of software to close the gap.

+1 to port PM to Linux.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:08:57 AM by Dimitri »
Dimitri Papadopoulos
Newswire Photojournalist and 3D stereo sports photographer