Author Topic: Image preview question  (Read 6260 times)

Offline Scott F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Image preview question
« on: June 05, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »
I am evaluating PM for my use at present and I have a question about the preview and zoom. When I am in preview mode and zoom to 100%, what exactly am I looking at? By this I mean, is this a full size(same dimensions as RAW) jpg that is generated, and if so, what parameters are applied ?
It seems to generate this previews very fast, so I am wondering about the details of this preview. Normally, I use RawshootersP to do critical sharpness evaluation of the files, so I am really curious about this preview mode as it would save me an enormous amount of time if I could rely upon it for sorting out similiar images.

thank you for your time
Scott F

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image preview question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 03:03:20 PM »
I am evaluating PM for my use at present and I have a question about the preview and zoom. When I am in preview mode and zoom to 100%, what exactly am I looking at? By this I mean, is this a full size(same dimensions as RAW) jpg that is generated, and if so, what parameters are applied ?
It seems to generate this previews very fast, so I am wondering about the details of this preview. Normally, I use RawshootersP to do critical sharpness evaluation of the files, so I am really curious about this preview mode as it would save me an enormous amount of time if I could rely upon it for sorting out similiar images.

Since you are on Windows (I'm guessing here since you mentioned Raw Shooters Premium) Photo Mechanic is showing you the JPEG preview found inside your RAW files.  It is not developing the RAW file at all.

You are seeing the JPEG preview at 100%, generated by the camera at the time the RAW file was created.  Some cameras can control the size of this preview which can be as high resolution as the RAW file.  Some make them half size, and some make them smaller.

On the Mac version, PM can develop the RAW images, but it always uses the 'as shot' settings.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Scott F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 05:41:45 PM »
Thank you for the prompt reply. Sorry for not mentioning my OS(windows)! My next question is probably one that I could answer by looking in my camera manual, but here goes anyway.
I always shoot RAW, and never select the "Raw + jpg" function, where I had always thought the ability to select jpg size was set. I realize that even when shooting RAW, there is an imbedded jpg, but I don't recall seeing settings to select the imbedded jpg size?
If I want to be able to preview in PM a full size jpg(I shoot with a Canon 1dMII and a 5D), do I need to set my recording mode to "RAW + jpg(large and highest res) setting?? I would really like to be able to pick out the sharpest of "similiar" images without having to go in to Rawshooters as it is not very fast.
Sorry if my questions are a bit silly, but the chore of editing many images, tagging, etc. is very tedious with the programs I use currently and I am always looking for something that will fast track it, and I have heard many good things about this program.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:34:08 PM »
Thank you for the prompt reply. Sorry for not mentioning my OS(windows)! My next question is probably one that I could answer by looking in my camera manual, but here goes anyway.
I always shoot RAW, and never select the "Raw + jpg" function, where I had always thought the ability to select jpg size was set. I realize that even when shooting RAW, there is an imbedded jpg, but I don't recall seeing settings to select the imbedded jpg size?
If I want to be able to preview in PM a full size jpg(I shoot with a Canon 1dMII and a 5D), do I need to set my recording mode to "RAW + jpg(large and highest res) setting?? I would really like to be able to pick out the sharpest of "similiar" images without having to go in to Rawshooters as it is not very fast.
Sorry if my questions are a bit silly, but the chore of editing many images, tagging, etc. is very tedious with the programs I use currently and I am always looking for something that will fast track it, and I have heard many good things about this program.

If you shoot in RAW+JPEG you will be shooting two images per shutter release.  Photo Mechanic can "pair" the two images together so that they are treated as one for purposes of captioning, tagging, color classification, renaming, etc. so it is really convenient.  But if you're used to a RAW only workflow, then those extra JPEGs will feel like extra baggage at times.  I don't think the 1D MkII allows setting the size of the embedded preview, and I don't know about the 5D.  The 1D should be putting in a half size JPEG which should be good enough for all but the sharpest preview critiquing. The ones that you're not sure of you could always color class to a particular color and then later select by that color class and only process those through RSP.  You'll just want to winnow your selections and only work on the possible keepers.

HTH,

-Kirk