Author Topic: Rating Transfer from PM to Capture NX  (Read 8784 times)

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
Rating Transfer from PM to Capture NX
« on: November 13, 2007, 05:20:41 PM »
I hope this hasn't been discussed before, but would it be possible for star ratings applied in PM to appear in Capture NX? Thanks, Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rating Transfer from PM to Capture NX
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:21:12 PM »
Richard,

I hope this hasn't been discussed before, but would it be possible for star ratings applied in PM to appear in Capture NX?

Does Capture NX have a 5-star rating system?  If so, where does it store those ratings?

We store them in the XMP data in the same way that Adobe's software does.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 07:30:19 AM »
Kirk: NX does not have a star rating system. It has a numeric system that uses 1 thru 9 with 0 being used to remove a rating. Each digit can be edited to apply a label such as good, bad, maybe etc. NX also applies a color to each numeric rating much like PM. I have no idea where NX stores the ratings, but if you tell me where/how to look with specific instructions, I'll be happy to look. Remember that you're dealing with a computer novice. Thanks, Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 12:17:15 PM »
Richard,

NX does not have a star rating system. It has a numeric system that uses 1 thru 9 with 0 being used to remove a rating. Each digit can be edited to apply a label such as good, bad, maybe etc. NX also applies a color to each numeric rating much like PM. I have no idea where NX stores the ratings, but if you tell me where/how to look with specific instructions, I'll be happy to look. Remember that you're dealing with a computer novice.

I tried doing the same thing with another user and it appears that NX does not store the information with the image but stores it somewhere else.  We were unable to determine where the information is stored.

The best thing for Capture NX users to do is ask Nikon to support XMP and the Star/Label systems compatible with Adobe products.  Then Capture NX will work with the rest of the world.  I think if Nikon got enough requests for this they would implement it.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 04:00:04 PM »
Kirk: Bummer, but thanks for the info. I'll try to get Nikonians to storm the gates of Nikon software development. Richard

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:42:44 AM »
Richard,

Capture NX labels are not compatible with either PM or Adobe products.

The new free View NX from Nikon supposelndly has label and star ratings complatible with Adobe (and PM), but it still doesn't work 100% and I don't use it. But even ViewNX is not compatible with Captrure NX.

Luckily I hated the Capture NX browser so much from the first minute I got the software that I never used the label feature. But it integrates well with PM so that the Capture browser really isn't needed anymore, so that's acutally not an issue at all.

Regards,
Juerg

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 09:50:37 AM »
Juerg: thanks for the reply. I guess I was trying to have my cake and eat it too! Richard