Author Topic: Set 'read only' for individual files from within PM contact sheet  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Kirk,

Is there a way to set the 'read only' atribute to selected files from within PM in an open contact sheet?

Reason is that I sometimes would like to edit (captioning, keywording, editing) let's say 20 pictures out of a group of 100 or 200 in a contact sheet as fast as possible to upload them right away, and work on the others later. But these 20 I would like to protect by setting to read only so they are protected from accidental modification when I work with the second tier.

Thanks,
Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Set 'read only' for individual files from within PM contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 09:12:21 AM »
Juerg,

Is there a way to set the 'read only' atribute to selected files from within PM in an open contact sheet?

No, there is no such feature.

Quote from: archer69
Reason is that I sometimes would like to edit (captioning, keywording, editing) let's say 20 pictures out of a group of 100 or 200 in a contact sheet as fast as possible to upload them right away, and work on the others later. But these 20 I would like to protect by setting to read only so they are protected from accidental modification when I work with the second tier.

What PM does with read-only files when you caption/tag/rotate/crop/rate/color class is remove the read-only attribute, make your edit, and set the read-only attribute.  So unless we had a preference to obey read-only attributes, setting the read-only attribute wouldn't make any difference.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 09:15:43 AM »

Hi Juerg, I am doing usually something quite similar, but IMHO it's possible to use to great extent the star/colour class ratings and filtering by them in PM itself. I simply lock photos in camera for rapind transfer, sometimes even ingesting only locked photos, and then ingest the rest, while I set the ratings on the first rapid batch to something I won't use later, then when editing the rest of the take I simply filter out the first ingest based on their rating. Try that :)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 10:00:25 AM »
Kirk,

What PM does with read-only files when you caption/tag/rotate/crop/rate/color class is remove the read-only attribute, make your edit, and set the read-only attribute.  So unless we had a preference to obey read-only attributes, setting the read-only attribute wouldn't make any difference.

-Kirk
Now that you mention it, I realize that it never obeyed 'read only' atributes anyway. Perhaps a preference setting to obey 'read only' tags may work, but I'm affraid it will mess up quite a few other prople if PM suddenly recognizes the read only.

I think Frantisek idea may work.

Frantisek,

Thanks for the imput. If I think about it, there may be a way to use the star rating (labels are already assigned to indicate edit levels), as I normaly only use 3 rating classes anyway. Perhaps I have to change my approach and use 1-3 stars for general rating and 5-stars only for the said 1st tier pictures. That way I can 'hide' them (as long as I don't forget to do it) when I work on the 2nd tier batch. That may work. Thanks again for the input.

Juerg