Author Topic: Pentax RAW  (Read 8090 times)

Offline fotoguy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Sticks & Stones Photography
Pentax RAW
« on: June 05, 2006, 07:17:24 PM »
Nice little program, but with no ability to read Pentax RAW, certainly not worth $150. Any idea as to when this functionality will make its way into the program?
Thanks.
Joe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Pentax RAW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 07:39:05 PM »
Nice little program, but with no ability to read Pentax RAW, certainly not worth $150. Any idea as to when this functionality will make its way into the program?

I think a lot of folks would disagree with your assessment. We have never had a single person request that we support Pentax RAW.  We personally shoot with Nikon and Canon and so do the majority of our users and that is why we support those cameras so well.

Are you requesting that we support Pentax RAW?  Are you willing to share some sample images so we can see if it is feasible to support Pentax RAW?

Pentax does not supply a library like Nikon and Canon do to render their RAW files.  Pentax does not publish a specification for their file format.  Sample files would help.

-Kirk

Offline fotoguy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Sticks & Stones Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:21:16 PM »

I think a lot of folks would disagree with your assessment. We have never had a single person request that we support Pentax RAW.  We personally shoot with Nikon and Canon and so do the majority of our users and that is why we support those cameras so well.

Are you requesting that we support Pentax RAW?  Are you willing to share some sample images so we can see if it is feasible to support Pentax RAW?

Pentax does not supply a library like Nikon and Canon do to render their RAW files.  Pentax does not publish a specification for their file format.  Sample files would help.

-Kirk

No disrespect intended. Though Canon and Nikon are the most popular brands, there are many others out there. You might be missing a huge part of the market by not accomodating them. You can't reliably use a brand support request to determine who would buy your program. More research would do it. Just my two cents worth.

I'd be happy to send you some Pentax RAW files. Just tell me how as each one is roughly 11 MB and too big to attach.

I like your program as it's simple and similar in function to the Pentax-supplied program. However, their program constantly crashes on my Mac and, until today, I hadn't found a suitable alternative. If and when you add support for Pentax, I'd be happy to give you a plug in the Digital Photography Review forum--LOTS of Pentax users there.
Joe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:43:31 PM »

-Kirk

No disrespect intended. Though Canon and Nikon are the most popular brands, there are many others out there. You might be missing a huge part of the market by not accomodating them. You can't reliably use a brand support request to determine who would buy your program. More research would do it. Just my two cents worth.

I'd be happy to send you some Pentax RAW files. Just tell me how as each one is roughly 11 MB and too big to attach.

I like your program as it's simple and similar in function to the Pentax-supplied program. However, their program constantly crashes on my Mac and, until today, I hadn't found a suitable alternative. If and when you add support for Pentax, I'd be happy to give you a plug in the Digital Photography Review forum--LOTS of Pentax users there.

Besides Nikon and Cannon, we support Epson ERF, Olympus ORF, Leaf MOS, and others.  Customers have sent us their files and have asked us to support their cameras.  Where possible, we will support any camera that at least has a thumbnail in them that does not need to be developed.

Contact me privately and I'll give you server information.  I'll only need a couple of files.

-Kirk

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 05:25:39 PM »
nice little program, but with no ability to read Pentax RAW, certainly not worth $150.
??? that statement should be in the Hall of Fame...it's really funny. 

You might be missing a huge part of the market by not accomodating them.

Can Pentax can be defined as a huge part of the market? By any stretch of the imagination? Even if they can't...Kirk and the gang have done an excellent job of adding support for Epson, Olympus, Leaf, etc.  in addition to Nikon and Canon.
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:27:02 PM »
nice little program, but with no ability to read Pentax RAW, certainly not worth $150.
??? that statement should be in the Hall of Fame...it's really funny. 

You might be missing a huge part of the market by not accomodating them.

Can Pentax can be defined as a huge part of the market? By any stretch of the imagination? Even if they can't...Kirk and the gang have done an excellent job of adding support for Epson, Olympus, Leaf, etc.  in addition to Nikon and Canon.

BTW, fotoguy sent me some of his images and the Pentax RAW (PEF) has really nice previews in it (small, medium, and large) and should be able to be supported quite nicely.

Coming from his point of view, PM doesn't offer *him* as much value as it does for Canon and Nikon shooters, but soon it will.

-Kirk