Author Topic: What's the deal with .psd files?  (Read 4071 times)

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
What's the deal with .psd files?
« on: November 20, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »
Am I to understand that PM struggle heavily with .psd files of any size?  Am I doing something wrong, my psd images are nearly impossible to view in any sort of timely manner.....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: What's the deal with .psd files?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 05:42:14 PM »
Am I to understand that PM struggle heavily with .psd files of any size?  Am I doing something wrong, my psd images are nearly impossible to view in any sort of timely manner.....

Photo Mechanic relies on QuickTime to load PSD files.  QuickTime is not fully multi-threaded capable so we can only force it to load one image at a time.  If you have a lot of PSD images it will indeed take time.

-Kirk

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 05:58:30 PM »
Wow, this is terrible news...  Are there any plans to 'fix' this in the VERY near future?  I have large psd files and it is basically crashing pm....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 06:03:12 PM »
Wow, this is terrible news...  Are there any plans to 'fix' this in the VERY near future?  I have large psd files and it is basically crashing pm....

We have plans to write our own PSD file parser but you must understand that this is not a trivial task.  It is planned to be added to version 4.6.

-Kirk