Author Topic: actuations question  (Read 5397 times)

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
actuations question
« on: November 21, 2007, 10:58:57 AM »
Hello,
I've got several Canon DSLRs. On the 1D series, I get an accurate and easily readable display of the actuations when I plug that variable into the IPTC. With the lower end Canon cameras I get additional numbers that seem to be part of the folder number. Would you know how I would determine the correct actuations for such a situation? For example, my Canon 30D which was just purchased displays the number "1478192" for the actuations, and this cannot be correct since I know I have not shot anywhere near that amount of photos, plus the shutters are only rated to 1000,000 exposures for these cameras. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your attention to this question.

Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: actuations question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:48:58 AM »
Andy,

I've got several Canon DSLRs. On the 1D series, I get an accurate and easily readable display of the actuations when I plug that variable into the IPTC. With the lower end Canon cameras I get additional numbers that seem to be part of the folder number. Would you know how I would determine the correct actuations for such a situation? For example, my Canon 30D which was just purchased displays the number "1478192" for the actuations, and this cannot be correct since I know I have not shot anywhere near that amount of photos, plus the shutters are only rated to 1000,000 exposures for these cameras. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your attention to this question.

The actuation count does indeed include a folder number in the count on the 20/30/40D cameras.  The last four digits of the value is the closest thing to an actuation count that we can provide.  It wraps around at 10,000 actuations so it is not an accurate indicator of the wear and tear on a 20/30/40D camera.

Those cameras just don't include an accurate actuation count like their more expensive brethren.

-Kirk