Author Topic: Star rating problem Lightroom 1.3 to Photo Mechanic  (Read 10528 times)

Offline camo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Star rating problem Lightroom 1.3 to Photo Mechanic
« on: November 21, 2007, 07:07:54 PM »
Hey Kirk,
A while back I tested to see that I could get my start ratings working as follows;
Rate in PM
Import to Lightroom
Re-rate in Lightroom if required.
Review re-rate in PM.

Effectively I was getting Bridge, Lightroom 1.2 and PM to all talk to each other to satisfy my wierd workflow ways.

I've recently upgraded (using the term very loosley) to Lightroom 1.3 Perhaps that's the problem but now when I open and refresh a PM contact sheet I get the old ratings from PM. A refresh "F5" doesn't work nor can I find any setting to sort it out.

If I make changes to ratings is Lightroom they can be seen in Bridge. I can make changes in PM and they can be seen in Lightroom. I 'save metadata to files' in Lightroom B4 trying to see changes in PM.

Do you know that the story may be? Am I a goof or do you thinks somethings broken.

My problem is Lightroom is sooooo slow I want to go back to PM and cull AGAIN again just to avoid the 5+ second refresh I get with every image. What a pain!

Cheers,
Cam.

Offline camo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Star rating problem Lightroom 1.3 to Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:10:56 PM »

PS: I am using PM ver 4.5.2

Hey Kirk,
A while back I tested to see that I could get my start ratings working as follows;
Rate in PM
Import to Lightroom
Review re-rate in PM.

Effectively I was getting Bridge, Lightroom 1.2 and PM to all talk to each other to satisfy my wierd workflow ways.

I've recently upgraded (using the term very loosley) to Lightroom 1.3 Perhaps that's the problem but now when I open and refresh a PM contact sheet I get the old ratings from PM. A refresh "F5" doesn't work nor can I find any setting to sort it out.

If I make changes to ratings is Lightroom they can be seen in Bridge. I can make changes in PM and they can be seen in Lightroom. I 'save metadata to files' in Lightroom B4 trying to see changes in PM.

Do you know that the story may be? Am I a goof or do you thinks somethings broken.

My problem is Lightroom is sooooo slow I want to go back to PM and cull AGAIN again just to avoid the 5+ second refresh I get with every image. What a pain!

Cheers,
Cam.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 07:37:17 PM »
Cam,

Rate in PM
Import to Lightroom
Review re-rate in PM.

I'm going to have to ask you some questions:

Are you working with XMP sidecar files?
Can you post a screenshot of your IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog?
Can you post a screenshot of your Files tab of the Preferences dialog?

I think if I can see your settings I will be able to sort things out.  I may also need for you to send me some sample files so I can look into them.

-Kirk

Offline camo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 08:28:14 PM »
Hey Kirk,
Did some fiddling. I was wrong - Bridge is seeing LR changes and so is PM... BUT... if I set any files in LR to zero stars it shows in PM as 1 star, I can't figure why.

To be specific... I have LR, PM & Bridge open. I change a rating in LR and "save metadata to file'. Immediatly these changes are visible in PM and F5 refreshes Bridge to see changes. The problem seems only to be using 0 stars in LR being seen as 1 star by PM. It seems occasionaly the change is not seen in PM (or LR isn't saving properly).

In answer...

1. Yes, am using XMP files. In Lightroom I turn off LR's Auto update XMP update (It's seems to be a bit faster this way). Then as I need I just select all and save metadata to files. Thru this testing I am saving every rating change.

2. attached
3. attached

I've also attached some pics to show you I'm not going crazy. ?

Thanks,

Cam.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:36:40 PM »
Cam,

Did some fiddling. I was wrong - Bridge is seeing LR changes and so is PM... BUT... if I set any files in LR to zero stars it shows in PM as 1 star, I can't figure why.

To be specific... I have LR, PM & Bridge open. I change a rating in LR and "save metadata to file'. Immediatly these changes are visible in PM and F5 refreshes Bridge to see changes. The problem seems only to be using 0 stars in LR being seen as 1 star by PM. It seems occasionaly the change is not seen in PM (or LR isn't saving properly).

In answer...

1. Yes, am using XMP files. In Lightroom I turn off LR's Auto update XMP update (It's seems to be a bit faster this way). Then as I need I just select all and save metadata to files. Thru this testing I am saving every rating change.

2. attached
3. attached

I've also attached some pics to show you I'm not going crazy. ?

Since you're using Adobe products, you definitely do not want to add IPTC4XMP into your RAW files.  It would probably be good to not embed anything at all in your case.

You can use the Revert TIFF-based RAW files to original if you want to strip out any embedded IPTC or IPTC4XMP data if you'd like.

-Kirk

Offline camo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 09:14:43 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I made the pref changes you suggested. Couldn't get it to show zero ratings. Then reverted Tiff Based Raws to original. Still the same problem exists.

Not sure what else I can do.?

Cam.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »
Cam,

I made the pref changes you suggested. Couldn't get it to show zero ratings. Then reverted Tiff Based Raws to original. Still the same problem exists.

Not sure what else I can do.?

I would change the "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:" popup menu to "Never" in the Files tab of the Preferences dialog.

And then I would test on some files that haven't been back and forth through all three of the apps you're using.  Once you have that working, then revisit your old files.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 06:49:21 AM »
cam

Did that work?

Mike