Author Topic: Verifying CDs or DVDs  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Oscarsson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Verifying CDs or DVDs
« on: November 23, 2007, 01:00:53 PM »
Hello,

Does anybody know if it's possible to use Photo Mechanic to verify that all the files on a CD or DVD that I have burned for my archives are good so the disc can be send to my archive. I heard Kevin Ames say that Lightroom can do this because it renders new thumbnails from the RAW files on the disc instead of just using the build in JPEG.

Can Photo mechanic do that too ???

Regards

Janne

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Verifying CDs or DVDs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 02:48:13 PM »
Janne,

Does anybody know if it's possible to use Photo Mechanic to verify that all the files on a CD or DVD that I have burned for my archives are good so the disc can be send to my archive. I heard Kevin Ames say that Lightroom can do this because it renders new thumbnails from the RAW files on the disc instead of just using the build in JPEG.

Can Photo mechanic do that too ???

What you're describing would not be a backup of the files, but images produced from the RAW files.  That would not be a backup of your images at all!

Photo Mechanic copies your *actual* files to the CD/DVD and is suitable for archival purposes.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: Verifying CDs or DVDs
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 02:04:02 AM »
As I understand the question it refers to Lightroom rendering its images from the written disk this way testing it wheter or not to be readable. I don't use PM for archiving because I'm customed to verify the write and the disk state as well. After burning I use Nero's verify and I put an MD5 checksum file on all my disks this way I may check them any time later if they have any errors.

In a former thread some time ago Kirk mentioned to be possible to add such a feature to PMs burning but it might be forgotten, or at least not so important at the time being.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com