Author Topic: EXIF data not being read  (Read 6480 times)

Offline magicbutton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
EXIF data not being read
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:37:22 AM »
Greetings,
I have a batch of RAW photos taken with a Canon 10D that I am viewing through PM 4.5.1.1.  Strangely, PM is not reading or picking up the EXIF data of any of these files ( all from one shoot spanning 5 days. Approx 5000 files).  I can view the EXIF data of even older files, but not from this one shoot.

Note: This batch of 5000 photos were NOT ingested with PM. (sadly, this was before I discovered PM)

Even stranger is that I can read the EXIF data on the problematic files with something like Canons Zoom BrowserEX. 

The only difference I've been able to see is that some files were taken with an in-camera ICC profile of sRGB and others with Adobe.  The sRGB files are the ones causing the issue.  BUT, I have newer files also at sRGB that are just fine viewed through PM.

I'm really scratching my head over this one.  This is my first hiccup with PM so I'm not sure where to start.  Which is good to a degree...

Any thoughts appreciated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: EXIF data not being read
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 12:10:41 PM »
Greetings,
I have a batch of RAW photos taken with a Canon 10D that I am viewing through PM 4.5.1.1.  Strangely, PM is not reading or picking up the EXIF data of any of these files ( all from one shoot spanning 5 days. Approx 5000 files).  I can view the EXIF data of even older files, but not from this one shoot.

Note: This batch of 5000 photos were NOT ingested with PM. (sadly, this was before I discovered PM)

Even stranger is that I can read the EXIF data on the problematic files with something like Canons Zoom BrowserEX. 

The only difference I've been able to see is that some files were taken with an in-camera ICC profile of sRGB and others with Adobe.  The sRGB files are the ones causing the issue.  BUT, I have newer files also at sRGB that are just fine viewed through PM.

I'm really scratching my head over this one.  This is my first hiccup with PM so I'm not sure where to start.  Which is good to a degree...

Any thoughts appreciated.

So with the 10D you have .CRW RAW files.  Are the corresponding .THM files missing?

If you want to send me some samples, I'd be happy to look into them.  I'd need both the CRW and the THM file (the THM file has most of the info.)  Just click on my name to the left of this message then click on the "Personal Message" link.  I will respond with server upload information.

Also, please get 4.5.2 or better yet, the 4.5.3 beta from the Announcements section as both are more stable than the version you have.

-Kirk

Offline magicbutton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 06:58:52 PM »
UGH! You're right. There are no .THM files.  I didn't realize PM was getting it's info from here. 
Is it safe to assume that the only reason the Zoom Browser software is getting capture data is due to the proprietary .RAW?

Like I said, this batch was 'copied'  pre-PM so I only have myself to blame it seems  :-\

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 08:43:33 PM »
UGH! You're right. There are no .THM files.  I didn't realize PM was getting it's info from here. 
Is it safe to assume that the only reason the Zoom Browser software is getting capture data is due to the proprietary .RAW?

Like I said, this batch was 'copied'  pre-PM so I only have myself to blame it seems  :-\

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

While I can't speak for how Canon's Zoom Browser works, we get the EXIF data from the THM file in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 07:32:55 AM »
Just a question out of curiosity.  Are you saying that with Canon RAW files you have to have two files in order for the information to be complete?  I.e. one file contains, the RAW data while the other file contains the EXIF and other information?  Is this the case with all Canon camera's, or just with certain models.

(If this is true, I have another reason to be glad I'm shooting Nikon, not Canon  ;D)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 07:41:08 AM »
Just a question out of curiosity.  Are you saying that with Canon RAW files you have to have two files in order for the information to be complete?  I.e. one file contains, the RAW data while the other file contains the EXIF and other information?  Is this the case with all Canon camera's, or just with certain models.

(If this is true, I have another reason to be glad I'm shooting Nikon, not Canon  ;D)

It was only for cameras that produced a CRW file.  The 1D series never had this issue (though it did make a RAW file ending in .TIF which was a problem for many applications.)  The 1D Mk II/III, 1Ds Mk II/III, 20D, 30D and 40D produce CR2 images that don't need a .THM file.

I think it was the D30, D60, and 10D that produced CRW/THM files, but there may be more models that did as well.

In any rate, if PM is used for Ingest and copying, then the THM file will always follow along with its CRW file.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »
Thanks Kirk, as always a quick and complete answer  8)

Cheers,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl