Author Topic: Other IPTC fields  (Read 3223 times)

Offline rgolub

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Other IPTC fields
« on: November 25, 2007, 10:20:43 PM »
I have used IVMP as my DAM program for a while.  I've set it up so the original file name is kept the the IPTC "source" field.  When looking at the PM IPTC Stationary window, I see some - but not all - of the IPTC fields.  Is there any way to change that?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Other IPTC fields
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 06:01:06 AM »
I have used IVMP as my DAM program for a while.  I've set it up so the original file name is kept the the IPTC "source" field.  When looking at the PM IPTC Stationary window, I see some - but not all - of the IPTC fields.  Is there any way to change that?

The IPTC Stationery Pad dialog is for batch applying caption data to a set of photos.  I think what you're wanting is to see the IPTC Info for an individual photo so you can see the current value of a field?

To do that, click on the 'i' button that appears over each thumbnail when you move your mouse over it.

Or maybe I'm mistaken and you just want Photo Mechanic's field names to match those used in iView Media Pro?  If so, the field names are not customizable.

-Kirk

Offline rgolub

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »
Or maybe I'm mistaken and you just want Photo Mechanic's field names to match those used in iView Media Pro?  If so, the field names are not customizable

Sort of ... what I really want to do is to insert {filename} into the IPTC Source field as a "Stationary" item or some other automatic system.  I do this with IVMP using a script.   I am trying to work myself away from IVMP since it's been deprecated and Microsoft is messing it up quite nicely.  PM seems to do much of what I'm using IVMP for and I like the interface.

I suppose I could stick the filename into another unused IPTC field, but I would prefer to leave it in the same field as my other 50K images....

RG
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 05:05:56 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 05:12:02 PM »
Or maybe I'm mistaken and you just want Photo Mechanic's field names to match those used in iView Media Pro?  If so, the field names are not customizable

Sort of ... what I really want to do is to insert {filename} into the IPTC Source field as a "Stationary" item or some other automatic system.

That is what Photo Mechanic excels at.  Here is how you do what you're trying to do:

Select your images.
Open the IPTC Stationery Pad (Go to the Image menu and choose IPTC Stationery Pad...)
Find the Source field.
Set the checkbox next to the Source field.  (It is called an 'Apply' checkbox, and when it is set to 'on' the field to the right of it will be applied.)
Enter {filename} into the Source text field.
Uncheck any other fields you don't want to apply.
Click on the "Apply Stationery to Selected" button and the filename of each photo will be written into the Source field of each photo.

HTH,

-Kirk