Author Topic: Raw to JPG?  (Read 3484 times)

Offline Chantus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.garciabetancourt.com
Raw to JPG?
« on: November 30, 2007, 11:40:19 AM »
I have a Canon Eos 5D and Windows XP
I´m trying to batch convert my Raw files into JPGS but the only way to do it I,ve found is
Tools>extract JPG preview from Raw photos
But this doesn´t allow me to choose Size in pixels and quality compression. I know that after that conversion I can choose "Save Photo As" and apply an especific size but this means 2 steps.
Is there a way to do it in one step? (like Fast stone program V2.22 batch convert)
We show low resolution images with watermark to our clients, and then we retouch the selected images.
Please I´m not comparing Fast Stone to PM; but I´m considering to buy PM depending on the features I need. I used to use PM in a newspaper I´ve worked and found it great.
Thank you
Pablo Betancourt

Offline nekken

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Raw to JPG?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 11:47:10 AM »
Haven't tried this myself yet since I use lightroom to deal with raws but try doing a select all of your raw files and then going to Save file as.  It should do it as a batch.  It works for converting tiffs to JPEGs at least

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 11:50:29 AM »
Currently there is no way to do this with PM.  I however found a great work-around: use the export function.  Take, e.g., PM Classic.  With the export you can specify quality, size, etc. of the images exported.

There are a few disadvantages to this solution of course, but with a little bit of scripting yourself you can circumvent these.  The two major problems are:
1. Thumbs and html-files are generated as well, resulting in a lot of clutter and extra overhead.
You can get around this by editing and amending the ruby script and create your own.

2. Image files are called xxxx.yyy.jpg (where xxxx.yyy is the original file name)
A little command-line scripting gets around this.

Hope this helps,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
I have a Canon Eos 5D and Windows XP
I´m trying to batch convert my Raw files into JPGS but the only way to do it I,ve found is
Tools>extract JPG preview from Raw photos
But this doesn´t allow me to choose Size in pixels and quality compression. I know that after that conversion I can choose "Save Photo As" and apply an especific size but this means 2 steps.
Is there a way to do it in one step? (like Fast stone program V2.22 batch convert)
We show low resolution images with watermark to our clients, and then we retouch the selected images.

Photo Mechanic is not really a RAW converter.  That said, we will likely make it possible to do a Save As from RAW photos using the embedded previews as a source in the 4.6 version of Photo Mechanic.

Hayo's suggestion will work for you if you try it.

-Kirk

Offline Chantus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.garciabetancourt.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 04:58:42 PM »
Nekken I use DPP and ACR to convert my raws depending on the subject, but none of this programs gives you the possibility to batch convert your RAW files with the speed of Fast Stone v2.22. (anyway PM is the king of speed, reading and converting)And when you deal with 4 to 8 gb per day, believe me; everything counts.
Thank you Hayo for your suggestion, interesting alternative.
Kirk, thank you again and I´ll be waiting four your 4.6!
Regards,
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 05:04:19 PM by Chantus »
Pablo Betancourt