Author Topic: M8 Support  (Read 3525 times)

Offline ru2far2c

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
M8 Support
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:17:18 PM »
Are you going to fully support Leica M8? I did a search and saw that you have created dng support as contact sheet. Will I ever be able to see it other than in contact sheet. Being able to see in the preview would be very helpful. PM is easier and faster to edit in than Lightroom.
Thanks
Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: M8 Support
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:39:12 PM »
Kevin,

Are you going to fully support Leica M8? I did a search and saw that you have created dng support as contact sheet. Will I ever be able to see it other than in contact sheet. Being able to see in the preview would be very helpful. PM is easier and faster to edit in than Lightroom.

The main issue here is that the M8 does not include a decent-sized preview in the DNG files it produces.  Photo Mechanic doesn't render DNG files.  If it did render them then the speed of PM with M8 DNG files would not be nearly as speedy as other RAW formats like NEF and CR2 from Nikon and Canon cameras that include usable previews.

We will likely render DNG files in an upcoming version of Photo Mechanic.  M8 DNG files included.

-Kirk

Offline ru2far2c

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »
Kirk--
Thanks for the explanation. I take it that CR2 and NEF files are using the embedded jpg file to help them along. Thanks again for your help on the matter and looking forward to the day that it might happen.

Do you think DNG files will become a standardize file format some time in the future as Adobe would like it to be?

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 11:44:16 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks for the explanation. I take it that CR2 and NEF files are using the embedded jpg file to help them along. Thanks again for your help on the matter and looking forward to the day that it might happen.

It will likely happen, though please understand that M8 DNG files will not render speedily like NEF and CR2 images currently do.

Quote from: ru2far2c
Do you think DNG files will become a standardize file format some time in the future as Adobe would like it to be?

I'm sure it will get plenty of adoption, but I don't think that Nikon and Canon will ever truly embrace DNG and offer it as their only RAW file format.

-Kirk