Author Topic: Ingest by color code only  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Thadgf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest by color code only
« on: June 07, 2006, 11:27:20 AM »
Is it possible to ingest by selected color code only?  For example, I shoot two events on one CF card, open a PM contact sheet with the contents of the CF card and color code images for one event with red, then the other event with blue.  Can I then Select Color (Red), and then invoke Ingest and just ingest from the CF card the images coded red to a specified file, and then Select Color (Blue) and ingest the blue images into a different specified file?  I've tried to do that, but ended up ingesting images with both color codes into the same folder.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest by color code only
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 12:01:48 PM »
Is it possible to ingest by selected color code only?  For example, I shoot two events on one CF card, open a PM contact sheet with the contents of the CF card and color code images for one event with red, then the other event with blue.  Can I then Select Color (Red), and then invoke Ingest and just ingest from the CF card the images coded red to a specified file, and then Select Color (Blue) and ingest the blue images into a different specified file?  I've tried to do that, but ended up ingesting images with both color codes into the same folder.

Ingest ingests entire disks or folders.  It "knows" nothing about the selection you have in a contact sheet.  In a future version of Photo Mechanic, I would like to add the ability to ingest from a selection.

As for making edits on your CF card: we do not recommend that you do anything with the images on the card but we do not stop you from doing so.  Why?  These are your originals and you are modifying them before you have downloaded them.  If the card is completely full, and you edit an image then it is entirely possible that it could be damaged.

Ingest first, then do your edits.  This is the safest way.

-Kirk

Offline Thadgf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 12:12:07 PM »
Thanks.  At least now I know I wasn't overlooking a command. 

I didn't think my files were in danger when color coding before ingesting, but you raise a good point.  Going forward I will ingest all into one file, and then color code and move one color set of images into a new file and rename as needed. 

Offline BKPhotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Bruce Kennedy Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 04:03:12 AM »
You can ingest just the selected images. Instead of using ingest, use "Copy Photos". After you color code your images, select images with that color, then change view to selected. Select all, then "copy photos". You can name the folder to copy the images to, thus changing folders for each color class.

Bruce