Author Topic: D3 NEF's not saving as JPGS in PM  (Read 3572 times)

Offline tomsperduto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
D3 NEF's not saving as JPGS in PM
« on: December 02, 2007, 03:06:44 PM »
I just shot my first assignment with my new Nikon D3. I loaded my NEF images into Photo Mechanic and tried to "save as" my selects to JPGS and got this message:
"None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution"

This is a big step in my workflow.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: D3 NEF's not saving as JPGS in PM
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »
Tom,

I just shot my first assignment with my new Nikon D3. I loaded my NEF images into Photo Mechanic and tried to "save as" my selects to JPGS and got this message:
"None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution"

This is a big step in my workflow.

Photo Mechanic is not a RAW processor.  On the Mac version we do take advantage of Apple's ImageIO to render RAW files, but if you're on Windows, we have no RAW rendering whatsoever.

That said, you can use the "Extract JPEG previews from RAW files..." command on the Tools menu to get JPEGs out of your D3 NEFs, but it still isn't a Save As command with all of its functionality.

-Kirk

Offline keydet

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 09:56:35 AM »
Tom,

Make sure you are in RAW+JPG mode and you can "save as" - but this is based on the JPG, not the RAW file.  Kirk would be the one who'd know, but I don't think PM has ever supported this function with just RAW files.

Chuck

Offline tomsperduto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 03:53:50 AM »
I am confused. If PM has saved my D2X NEF images as JPEGs with "Save as", what's the difference now?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 06:38:13 AM »
I am confused. If PM has saved my D2X NEF images as JPEGs with "Save as", what's the difference now?

Were you using a Mac at that time?  The Mac OS X version can do a Save As from RAW files because Mac OS X 10.4.x and higher has built-in RAW rendering capabilities.  Apple does not currently support the Nikon D3 (too new and Apple hasn't added support yet) so PM can't support it either.  The Canon 1Ds Mark III is also unsupported by Apple's RAW rendering.  Both cameras should have proper support in the next few months.

-Kirk