Author Topic: Thumbnails  (Read 4710 times)

Offline lawrencehare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thumbnails
« on: December 04, 2007, 07:31:29 AM »
I confess I have used many photo management tools in the ten years I have been taking digital photos, but I found two main issues that caused be to discard the lot and which ONLY PM resolves: Speed and/or an insistence on managing my photos for me! I do not want a program to select/sort/file, or in any way decide, how my photos should be organized - I'LL do that. I use a Mac as my principal computer system and PM is excellent in all regards, save perhaps one that I miss from some of those old daft programs - it is a chore to make a page of thumbnails with html pointing back at the full size pictures.

What I would like is to copy a selected bunch of pictures into a folder, click on a magic button, and get a file of html with some supporting folders, one containing thumbnails and one containing the full size pictures. I can then wrap this in my own html and upload to my website. It does not need to have the thumbnails and full size pictures in other folders, it could all be in one, but I would like a quick way to generate html such as this - for we are always posting photos of this event or that event and we have not really found a freebee photo site that does what we would like, and we prefer often to use out own site - and perhaps the code generator would accept different backgrounds, buttons etc.

Maybe this is not something PM wants as part of its portfolio. Given that it does what it does so very well I would not have a problem with this - but perhaps in which case there is a utility that would run under OS X (or both OS X and XP - I regret my dear wife uses a PC for all she started on a Mac many years back)? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks - Lawrence

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:17:21 AM »
Lawrence,

I confess I have used many photo management tools in the ten years I have been taking digital photos, but I found two main issues that caused be to discard the lot and which ONLY PM resolves: Speed and/or an insistence on managing my photos for me! I do not want a program to select/sort/file, or in any way decide, how my photos should be organized - I'LL do that. I use a Mac as my principal computer system and PM is excellent in all regards, save perhaps one that I miss from some of those old daft programs - it is a chore to make a page of thumbnails with html pointing back at the full size pictures.

What I would like is to copy a selected bunch of pictures into a folder, click on a magic button, and get a file of html with some supporting folders, one containing thumbnails and one containing the full size pictures. I can then wrap this in my own html and upload to my website. It does not need to have the thumbnails and full size pictures in other folders, it could all be in one, but I would like a quick way to generate html such as this - for we are always posting photos of this event or that event and we have not really found a freebee photo site that does what we would like, and we prefer often to use out own site - and perhaps the code generator would accept different backgrounds, buttons etc.

Have you tried any of the Export templates in Photo Mechanic?  The PM Classic template does most of what you're requesting...

HTH,

-Kirk