Author Topic: iphoto  (Read 6133 times)

Offline INKognito

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
iphoto
« on: December 08, 2007, 01:06:58 PM »
I hope I am not stepping on anyones toes but do people with a mac use PM instead of iPhoto or as well as, what does PM do that iPhoto doesn't do?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: iphoto
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 06:55:46 AM »
I hope I am not stepping on anyones toes but do people with a mac use PM instead of iPhoto or as well as, what does PM do that iPhoto doesn't do?

There a lot of Photo Mechanic users who use Photo Mechanic on a Mac.  If there weren't, we wouldn't be in business.

Photo Mechanic is highly regarded in the professional photojournalist and sports photography communities for its speed and versatility.  It helps them get the job done under tight deadlines.

Photo Mechanic is the hub of their workflow.  It is the beginning (downloading from the card via Ingest), the middle (previewing, captioning, keywording, renaming, cropping, launching photos into external editor applications, etc.) and the end (FTP upload to a server.)

Photo Mechanic doesn't do everything for everyone, but what it does do it does well and very efficiently.

I am not an iPhoto user so I cannot compare and contrast the features, but I am sure that both programs can do things that the other cannot do.  You can demo Photo Mechanic for 20 days so you can try it out for yourself.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 12:50:37 PM »
INKognito, I saw PM used by a fellow photographer and heard about it through the nikonians image doctors.  At first I thought "why would I use it?", but then after playing with it for a while, I found it truly is an amazing program, enhancing my workflow tenfold.  While I did like the user interface of Lightroom, I didn't like its speed (read: it was slow) and the way it supported my workflow (read: it didn't at all).  I also tried iView Media, but gave up because it was relatively slow and way to complex for me.

What also convinces me of PhotoMechanic is the way that the developers are open to suggestions and feedback.  A real winner for me!

So the bottom line: try PM and I'm sure you'll like it :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline INKognito

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 12:21:39 PM »
Thank you fellas, the try it and see trial makes sense. I am away until after Christmas so I will try it when I get back.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:50:59 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline thermarest

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 08:32:02 AM »
If you are a serious amateur or professional shooting lots and lots of photos and want to embed keywords and your copyright, etc, then PM might be something you need. Most people will be very happy with just iPhoto. I think it is a really great program for what almost everyone needs to do with photos.

iPhoto does things PM can't do. Almost all PM users use it in conjuction with a database program like iView, whereas iPhoto is its own database.