Author Topic: Problem when ingest cards to primary & secondary folders.  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Graham Taylor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem when ingest cards to primary & secondary folders.
« on: December 07, 2007, 02:46:12 PM »
Last week I tried to ingest cards to primary & secondary folders with sequential numbers. First card sent to Primary folder was ok as was next card which I sent to Secondary folder. After that the cards just continued to numerically follow in each folder. This was in spite of the ingest box showing the following numbers to be correct.
The idea was I could ingest each camera's cards to different folders which would enable me to seach fewer images instead of one folder with a lot of images. I could then upload any image without having to rename.

Hope you can understand this.
Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem when ingest cards to primary & secondary folders.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 03:33:21 PM »
Graham,

Last week I tried to ingest cards to primary & secondary folders with sequential numbers. First card sent to Primary folder was ok as was next card which I sent to Secondary folder. After that the cards just continued to numerically follow in each folder. This was in spite of the ingest box showing the following numbers to be correct.
The idea was I could ingest each camera's cards to different folders which would enable me to seach fewer images instead of one folder with a lot of images. I could then upload any image without having to rename.

Hope you can understand this.

I'm sorry but unfortunately, I don't understand.  Could you list a series of filenames to illustrate what went wrong?  Also it would be helpful to know what version of Photo Mechanic you are using and what OS you're running on.  And if you could, please post a screenshot of the Ingest dialog, showing all of the settings required to reproduce the problem.

You can use the "Additional Options..." link below the text field when you're replying to this message to upload your screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Graham Taylor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 06:34:26 AM »
OK I'll try and explain again.
When I use a two camera setup I want to ingest the images into two seperate folders (Primary & Secondary). But I would like the images renamed and numbered consecutively. When I tried to do this the first card  I ingest into the Primary folder numbered from 1-50. I then tried to ingest from the second body into the Secondary folder and it numbered them 51-75. Now the problem starts from when I download from the first camera again into the Primary folder should then renumber 76+ but  its actualy renumbering from 51 again following on from the last number in the Primary folder although the next sequence number should follow from the Secondary folder.

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 06:47:33 AM »
Graham,

OK I'll try and explain again.
When I use a two camera setup I want to ingest the images into two seperate folders (Primary & Secondary). But I would like the images renamed and numbered consecutively. When I tried to do this the first card  I ingest into the Primary folder numbered from 1-50. I then tried to ingest from the second body into the Secondary folder and it numbered them 51-75. Now the problem starts from when I download from the first camera again into the Primary folder should then renumber 76+ but  its actualy renumbering from 51 again following on from the last number in the Primary folder although the next sequence number should follow from the Secondary folder.

What is your renaming string?  And when you say "Primary" and "Secondary" are you speaking of the Primary and Secondary folder paths of the Ingest dialog?

It would really help if you posted a screenshot of your Ingest dialog settings.

Also, what version of Photo Mechanic are you using?  What OS are you using it on?

-Kirk

Offline Graham Taylor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »

What is your renaming string?  And when you say "Primary" and "Secondary" are you speaking of the Primary and Secondary folder paths of the Ingest dialog?

Also, what version of Photo Mechanic are you using?  What OS are you using it on?

-Kirk

I've been renaming as ps_nameofteam_number.
Yes Primary & Secondary folder paths of the Ingest dialog.
Sorry its installed on my laptop which I dont have with me. I can post screenshot when I collect my laptop.
I'm using v4.5.2  on Windodows XP Home Edition.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 07:43:48 AM »
Graham,

I've been renaming as ps_nameofteam_number.

When you say "_number" are you talking about the {seqn} variable?

Quote from: Graham Taylor
Yes Primary & Secondary folder paths of the Ingest dialog.

Ok, well earlier you sounded like you were somehow using a Secondary path without using a Primary path first and that isn't possible.  Are you changing those paths between cards?  If so, it would probably be better to use the Folder Naming field to do that unless you really want to pick different hard drives for each card.

Quote from: Graham Taylor
Sorry its installed on my laptop which I dont have with me. I can post screenshot when I collect my laptop.
I'm using v4.5.2  on Windodows XP Home Edition.

OK.  Well please also try the 4.5.3 beta as there were a couple of fixes to Ingest in the 4.5.3 version.  You can get it from the Announcements section of the forums.

-Kirk

Offline Graham Taylor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 08:07:27 AM »
Thanks I'll try the Beta version first and see if that does the trick.