Author Topic: 4.5.3 no thumbs and 100% 100% drain on DuoCore CPU  (Read 6909 times)

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • Morten Vassing│Photojournalist
4.5.3 no thumbs and 100% 100% drain on DuoCore CPU
« on: December 13, 2007, 01:30:41 AM »
I passed up on the beta waiting for the final release. But 4.5.3. on two seperate Macs loads slowly, shows no JPEG thumbs in any of the folders I open - and send my CPU monitor blazing to a perfect 100% 100% score and basically bogs the entire system down. I tested on:

iMac 24” Aluminum
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz
1 Processor
2 Cores
4 MB L2 Cache
4 GB RAM
667 MHz Bus Speed

and

MacBook Black
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.16 GHz
1 Processor
2 Cores
4 MB L2 Cache
2 GB RAM
667 MHz Bus Speed

both of them running Mac OS X 10.5.1

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Morten Vassing
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
Re: 4.5.3 no thumbs and 100% 100% drain on DuoCore CPU
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 03:31:37 AM »
I reverted to 4.5.2 (luckily I found the dmg in my Downolad folder) as CB apparently has removed the 4.5.2 from the official download server and everything is back to normal both with regard to JPEGs, NEFs (even from the D3) and the processor is idling at 13% 15% with PM 4.3.2 running with a 1GB folder full of JPEGs open.

Cheers,

Morten Vassing
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 06:33:08 AM »
Morten,

I passed up on the beta waiting for the final release. But 4.5.3. on two seperate Macs loads slowly, shows no JPEG thumbs in any of the folders I open - and send my CPU monitor blazing to a perfect 100% 100% score and basically bogs the entire system down. I tested on:

iMac 24” Aluminum
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz
1 Processor
2 Cores
4 MB L2 Cache
4 GB RAM
667 MHz Bus Speed

and

MacBook Black
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.16 GHz
1 Processor
2 Cores
4 MB L2 Cache
2 GB RAM
667 MHz Bus Speed

both of them running Mac OS X 10.5.1

Are you saying that no thumbnails ever show up?  Are you getting a spinning beach ball cursor?  The folder has nothing in it but JPEGs?

-Kirk

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 07:07:36 AM »
Kirk,

What I'm saying and what I was experiencing on the two Macs was absolutely no thumbs for a long while but an unhealthy spike in CPU usage. When I clicked an empty JPEG thumb I got an empty image space. Then navigated with the arrows left and right, still no images show up. Exit by way of Ctrl+W. Still no thumbs but CPU at 100% 100%. Then perhaps after 60-120 secs the thumbs slowly emerge and I can click them and view them but it is all sloooooow going.

Exit PM, start up again. Same sorry story. Exit PM, exit Mac OS X, restart computer, fire up PM 4.5.3. Same tale. Then only solution: Re-install 4.5.2 and peew... everything is back to normal: Swift PM startup, no thumb trouble or anything. Low CPU usage.

Frankly, I am surprised this happened on two different Macs. And I am now actively working with client files on both computers running PM 4.5.2 without a hitch.

I posted this major problem also on the Danish site for press photographers but it seems like I am alone with this problem as of now... Go figure  ??? ???

Best,

Morten Vassing

P.S. Not really a beachball spinning but really bogged down system reply and yup, only JPEGs that work like a charm on 4.5.2.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 07:09:19 AM by vassing »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 07:45:27 AM »
Morten,

What I'm saying and what I was experiencing on the two Macs was absolutely no thumbs for a long while but an unhealthy spike in CPU usage. When I clicked an empty JPEG thumb I got an empty image space. Then navigated with the arrows left and right, still no images show up. Exit by way of Ctrl+W. Still no thumbs but CPU at 100% 100%. Then perhaps after 60-120 secs the thumbs slowly emerge and I can click them and view them but it is all sloooooow going.

Exit PM, start up again. Same sorry story. Exit PM, exit Mac OS X, restart computer, fire up PM 4.5.3. Same tale. Then only solution: Re-install 4.5.2 and peew... everything is back to normal: Swift PM startup, no thumb trouble or anything. Low CPU usage.

Frankly, I am surprised this happened on two different Macs. And I am now actively working with client files on both computers running PM 4.5.2 without a hitch.

I posted this major problem also on the Danish site for press photographers but it seems like I am alone with this problem as of now... Go figure  ??? ???

Best,

Morten Vassing

P.S. Not really a beachball spinning but really bogged down system reply and yup, only JPEGs that work like a charm on 4.5.2.

Can you post a screenshot showing your entire Contact Sheet window?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:16:07 AM »
Morten,

Can you also send me your preferences file?  Contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message.  Then click on the Personal Message link.  I'll give you an email address you can send you preferences file off to.

-Kirk

BTW, I just updated to Mac OS X 10.5.1 and ran the release version of Photo Mechanic 4.5.3 on a set of CR2+JPEG images and it loaded extremely quickly, no delays at all.

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:26:03 AM »
Yeah, here you go....

I got the spinning beachball and ended up making a Force Quit.

Picture 6 shows the 100% 100% CPU usage in the Task Bar while PM is stalling on me in another Space of Leopard.

Best,

Morten Vassing

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 08:31:36 AM »
Morten,

Yeah, here you go....

I got the spinning beachball and ended up making a Force Quit.

Picture 6 shows the 100% 100% CPU usage in the Task Bar while PM is stalling on me in another Space of Leopard.

The screenshots indicate that the main event thread is hung for some reason.  Now I really want your preferences file!

Please contact me directly.

Thanks,

-Kirk

P.S. Does it matter if you run PM in the default space?

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 08:34:09 AM »
Kirk,

I sent you a private message already. What is the default space? I have assigned Space 3 for PM.

Do you mean Space 1 is the default space?

Morten

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
I removed the Space assignment for PM in SysPref and opened PM in Space 1. Same deal

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 08:40:52 AM »
Morten,

I removed the Space assignment for PM in SysPref and opened PM in Space 1. Same deal

Thanks, that's good to know.

I look forward to your preferences file.

-Kirk

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 03:27:14 AM »
Thank you, Kirk, for your swift solution.

And to everyone else, it seemed that because I enter lots of keywords in my files the keyword processing in 5.4.3 somehow could not catch up.

Kirk has already provided a solution. I was just wondering why I am the only one with 50-100 keywords assigned to every image.

I use David Riecks' Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Catalog mixed with my own keywords in the Structured Keyword field of the Stationary Pad.

All the best,

Morten Vassing