Author Topic: Loosing star ratings and color codes when upgrading  (Read 9877 times)

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Loosing star ratings and color codes when upgrading
« on: December 13, 2007, 05:45:51 PM »
I lost all star ratings and color codes when upgrading to 4.5.3.

This also happened when I upgraded to 4.5.2.

I run Vista and use Capture NX for post-processing. Ratings and colors are always entered in PM.

Any suggestion to find them back ?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Loosing star ratings and color codes when upgrading
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 06:53:25 PM »
I lost all star ratings and color codes when upgrading to 4.5.3.

This also happened when I upgraded to 4.5.2.

I run Vista and use Capture NX for post-processing. Ratings and colors are always entered in PM.

Any suggestion to find them back ?

What OS are you running?  How is it that you upgrade?  Do you uninstall first?  Are you somehow losing your preferences settings?

Star ratings and color classes are either stored in the files themselves or in XMP sidecar files depending on your preferences.

So are you saying that the ratings are no longer in your files?  What file types are you working with?

-Kirk

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:39:35 PM »
Hi Kirk,

As I wrote, I'm running Windows Vista. I use NEF files (Camera = Nikon D200)

I didn't uninstall first (same thing when I upgraded to 4.5.2 a few months ago)

I don't know if I'm loosing my preference settings since I didn't change the default settings. (I never did it). What I do is simply select a color and a number of star in the Contact Sheet, or in the enlarged stand-alone views.

After upgrading, I don't see the ratings and colors in the Contact Sheet and in the enlarged stand-alone views.

When I look at the data for the photo, the "none" box is checked for color.

I've tried "update IPTC/XMP" from jpg and from raw for one photo, nothing changed.

Yvan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 07:55:41 PM »
Yvan,

As I wrote, I'm running Windows Vista. I use NEF files (Camera = Nikon D200)

I didn't uninstall first (same thing when I upgraded to 4.5.2 a few months ago)

I don't know if I'm loosing my preference settings since I didn't change the default settings. (I never did it). What I do is simply select a color and a number of star in the Contact Sheet, or in the enlarged stand-alone views.

After upgrading, I don't see the ratings and colors in the Contact Sheet and in the enlarged stand-alone views.

When I look at the data for the photo, the "none" box is checked for color.

I've tried "update IPTC/XMP" from jpg and from raw for one photo, nothing changed.

OK, well I still don't have an answer for you.  When you upgrade from one version to another, there isn't any reason for edits to be lost.

The data should still be there unless you edited the files with an application that strips that information.  Did you edit the files between viewing them with the older version and the newer version?

It may be helpful if you would post screenshots of the Files and IPTC/XMP tabs of the Preferences dialog.  Use the "Additional Options..." link to upload your screenshots.

-Kirk

-Kirk

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 04:20:13 PM »
Update to the message below: I just found that the stars and color ratings are still there for some contact sheets, but not for others. Date of photographs or dates of editing don't seem to have an impact. There seems to be no relationship to my updating of Capture NX to version 1.3. All Preferences are the same all the time.

Hi Kirk,

I use only Capture NX for my photo editing. I presently use version 1.3 of NX, but the same problem took place with a previous version of NX (i.e. when I upgraded PM to 4.5.2, probably using NX versin 1.2 at that time).

Most of the time, I have Capture NX and PM open simultaneously, one on each display. I use PM to browse my pictures in the enlarged window, then select one I like and open it in Capture NX using PM Edit command. Once I have finished editing in raw in NX, I save a jpg version in NX and close them. Then, it is automatically refreshed in PM when I enter the color and the number of stars. When I close PM and open it the next time, it always keep the ratings. These ratings disappears only when I upgrade.

Here are the required screenshots:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 04:52:08 PM by Yvan »

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 04:26:19 PM »
Here is one more screen copy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:26:37 PM »
Yvan,

Update to the message below: I just found that the stars and color ratings are still there for some contact sheets, but not for others. Date of photographs or dates of editing don't seem to have an impact. There seems to be no relationship to my updating of Capture NX to version 1.3. All Preferences are the same all the time.

I use only Capture NX for my photo editing. I presently use version 1.3 of NX, but the same problem took place with a previous version of NX (i.e. when I upgraded PM to 4.5.2, probably using NX versin 1.2 at that time).

Most of the time, I have Capture NX and PM open simultaneously, one on each display. I use PM to browse my pictures in the enlarged window, then select one I like and open it in Capture NX using PM Edit command. Once I have finished editing in raw in NX, I save a jpg version in NX and close them. Then, it is automatically refreshed in PM when I enter the color and the number of stars. When I close PM and open it the next time, it always keep the ratings. These ratings disappears only when I upgrade.

In the Files tab of the Preferences dialog you need to change the setting that reads "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:" to "For all photos".  Then your soft-edits will be present in the embedded IPTC data contained within your NEF files.

This has nothing to do with upgrading from one version of PM to another.  Without this setting each time you update a NEF file with Capture NX, your soft edits are lost.  With the setting set to "For all photos" your soft edits will survive modification by Capture NX.

-Kirk

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 08:14:42 AM »
Hi Kirk,

You got the solution ! What a great service ! I really appreciated the quality of your support as a first time user of this forum.

Regards,

Yvan