Author Topic: Some TIFF thumbnails not showing  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Kevin Adams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Some TIFF thumbnails not showing
« on: February 22, 2008, 05:53:36 AM »
Am trying out PM for the first time and so far love it. But I'm having a major problem.

In a folder of about 1200 tiffs, some of the thumbnails do not show the pic. All I see is a bunch of colored squares, like unrendered pixels or something. Or like extreme noise. In the Preview pane the filmstrip is the same, no picture, but I can click on an image in the filmstrip and it shows correctly on the larger view.

Interestingly, this behavior seems to be erratic. Some times I would open the folder and the thumbnails show, but mostly they do not. I also opened the same folder from a backup drive and have the same issue. Opening the folder in Adobe Bridge shows the thumbnails fine. Also, I see no problems with DNG files, just the tiffs. And this just happens with a few dozen of the 1200 files. The rest are fine.

Please help. I am ready to purchase PM, but I need to find out what's going on.

Thanks so much,
Kevin   

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Some TIFF thumbnails not showing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:33:50 AM »
Kevin,

Am trying out PM for the first time and so far love it. But I'm having a major problem.

In a folder of about 1200 tiffs, some of the thumbnails do not show the pic. All I see is a bunch of colored squares, like unrendered pixels or something. Or like extreme noise. In the Preview pane the filmstrip is the same, no picture, but I can click on an image in the filmstrip and it shows correctly on the larger view.

Interestingly, this behavior seems to be erratic. Some times I would open the folder and the thumbnails show, but mostly they do not. I also opened the same folder from a backup drive and have the same issue. Opening the folder in Adobe Bridge shows the thumbnails fine. Also, I see no problems with DNG files, just the tiffs. And this just happens with a few dozen of the 1200 files. The rest are fine.

Please help. I am ready to purchase PM, but I need to find out what's going on.

Photo Mechanic is not compatible with Zip-compressed, planar TIFFs.  It is likely that if you were to take those files and re-save them as Zip-compressed, chunky TIFFs then Photo Mechanic would be able to view them.  This is what I expect is going on, but without a sample image, I don't know for sure.  If you want to send us a sample file, we would be happy to look at it and tell you for certain what is going on.

Contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message and then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with server upload instructions.

-Kirk