Author Topic: Canon support 1Ds Mark III  (Read 5166 times)

Offline BrentB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Canon support 1Ds Mark III
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:01:13 PM »
Will PM be supporting this camera?

Thanks,

Brent

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Canon support 1Ds Mark III
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 02:10:06 PM »
Brent,

Will PM be supporting this camera?

Yes, of course.  It already does.

Unless you're asking about RAW rendering on Mac OS X, for which the answer is yes, but when Apple adds support for it in ImageIO.

-Kirk

Offline BrentB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:29:44 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by RAW rendering. When I use PM, am I seeing the actual Mark III RAW file, or it's JPG?

Thanks,

Brent

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 04:05:05 PM »
Brent,

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by RAW rendering. When I use PM, am I seeing the actual Mark III RAW file, or it's JPG?

On Mac OS X 10.4.6 and higher we have an option to use Apple's ImageIO (basically it is what Aperture uses) to render RAW files.  Currently ImageIO has not been updated to support the 1Ds Mark III, D3, and D300.

So on each of these cameras we must show the embedded JPEG preview from their RAW files.

-Kirk

Offline BrentB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 07:50:40 PM »
Forgive my opacity, but if I understand correctly, at this point PM is rendering the RAW files for the Mark III, not Apple. (Which is OK with me.) Is that correct?

Thanks again for your persistence.

brent

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 07:52:08 PM »
Brent,

Forgive my opacity, but if I understand correctly, at this point PM is rendering the RAW files for the Mark III, not Apple. (Which is OK with me.) Is that correct?

No, Photo Mechanic is showing you the embedded JPEG preview found in your 1Ds Mark III CR2 files.

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 08:38:57 PM »
Kirk: 

Further to this thread: why does PM NOT allow "Save as" functionality for Canon 1Ds Mark III CR2 files?  Instead, I get Error message that the file is too large.  Is there a way to use the "Save as" feature to create JPG's from the RAW?

Regards,
Craig
Mac OS 10.4.11; PM 4.5.3

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »
Hi Craig,

Apple recently added support in ImageIO (part of the OS) for the 1Ds Mk III (and other models like the Nikon D3 and D300), but only on 10.5.2 (Leopard).  They probably could have posted a "Digital Camera Raw Support Update" as they did prior to 10.4.9 (to avoid a complete OS update) so that third party applications running on 10.4.11 could support the newer camera models, but to be quite frank Apple apparently only cares about their own photo applications (note that Aperture 2.0 and iPhoto 7.1.2 can handle these new cameras on 10.4.11).  You will have to pay Apple to upgrade to Leopard and wait for PM 4.5.3.1 (free update) to get access to RAW conversions for your camera (or you could use iPhoto or buy Aperture 2.0 which is what Apple would like you to do).

Even though we pay Apple $500 a year for developer fees, they keep us in the dark about details of updates and also don't give us full access to the raw processing features that come built-in to the OS (that you paid for).  They limit full RAW access (and other goodies like the "Pro" interface elements) to their own applications.  If you think this is unfair anti-competitive monopolistic behavior then you can try and take this up with Joe Schorr, Apple's Senior Product Line Manager for Photo Applications.  I don't have his email address handy but employees of large corporations often have an email address with their first initial and last name.

Sorry...

--dennis

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 03:19:49 AM »
Anyone tried converting [1Ds Mark III] CR2 files to JPG's yet using PM 4.5.3.1 [beta] with Mac Leopard?  Am out of country and spooked to risk experimenting with OS upgrade and PM upgrade without some testimony from others who have had success.

Many thanks!
Craig