Author Topic: Very slow access to a NAS device  (Read 5596 times)

Offline mervifwdc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Merv Colton Photography
Very slow access to a NAS device
« on: December 21, 2007, 09:52:16 AM »
Hi,

I dont think this is a specific PM problem, so I'm looking to see if anyone else has had this issue.

I've got a NAS (Buffalo terastation) device, which has 3 disk running raid 5 (each disk is 500g, giving be about 1 terrabyte of available space). Access to it is via a 1gb switch, and the computer and NAS have 1gb network ports.

What I notice is that when I deal with directories of files, if the number of files gets large (over 1000), then PM gets very slow when dealing with the files on the NAS units, however, it's fine with 1000 files when the directory of files is on the PC's own disk, or on an external hard disk connected by USB2 or FireWire. For this reason I've put my main working directories on a USB remote disk (that has 2 mirrored disks), but now I've gotten a second machine, which means it would be way handier to use the NAS as the working device, and the USB drive as the on-line backup.

I'll probably retire the first computer, but it's handy to have 2 at times.

So, i've now got to look at the speed of the NAS. Anyone using a NAS with over 1000 files (CR2) with decent speed? I mean for opening with PM for the purposes of grading them, entering IPTC etc.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Merv.
Warning: Spell Checker disabled. Granma may be erotic.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Very slow access to a NAS device
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 11:37:44 AM »
Merv,

I dont think this is a specific PM problem, so I'm looking to see if anyone else has had this issue.

I've got a NAS (Buffalo terastation) device, which has 3 disk running raid 5 (each disk is 500g, giving be about 1 terrabyte of available space). Access to it is via a 1gb switch, and the computer and NAS have 1gb network ports.

What I notice is that when I deal with directories of files, if the number of files gets large (over 1000), then PM gets very slow when dealing with the files on the NAS units, however, it's fine with 1000 files when the directory of files is on the PC's own disk, or on an external hard disk connected by USB2 or FireWire. For this reason I've put my main working directories on a USB remote disk (that has 2 mirrored disks), but now I've gotten a second machine, which means it would be way handier to use the NAS as the working device, and the USB drive as the on-line backup.

I'll probably retire the first computer, but it's handy to have 2 at times.

So, i've now got to look at the speed of the NAS. Anyone using a NAS with over 1000 files (CR2) with decent speed? I mean for opening with PM for the purposes of grading them, entering IPTC etc.

Any pointers much appreciated.

What we found was that these devices are slow at directory access but are respectable at large reads/writes.  In version 4.5.3 we took steps to minimize the amount of directory scanning that PM performs.  For some this made a big difference.

What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

-Kirk

Offline mervifwdc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Merv Colton Photography
Re: Very slow access to a NAS device
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 02:09:48 AM »
I was on 4.5.1 but will go to 4.5.3 this very day! I'll report back after christmas.

Seasons greetings to all!

Thanks!
Merv.
Warning: Spell Checker disabled. Granma may be erotic.