Author Topic: PM can't see exif after Nikon Capture 4 edit-resave  (Read 4350 times)

Offline pmal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM can't see exif after Nikon Capture 4 edit-resave
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:58:52 PM »
I'm going to give this a try to see if anyone else has experienced the same.  Perhaps it's a Nikon Capture 4.4.2 bug, or maybe I don't have PM (ver. 4.4.3.3) set up correctly (???).

I ingest NEF files with PM and apply IPTC info during ingest.  I batch rename all ingested NEF's with PM.  At this point all camera EXIF data is visible from PM.  If I then edit the NEF in Nikon Capture 4 all of the camera EXIF data is lost ... to PM, Photoshop CS, IDimager (and probably any other program).  As well, ranking data applied in PM is also lost and has to be reapplied.

Yeah, I know, this sounds like bad ju-ju from Capture 4.  I only wonder if there is a workaround that someone else has found?  I can't be the *only* one using Nikon Capture 4 as a RAW converter that wants to retain EXIF info, am I?  Is there some way to use PM to carry this in a sidecar file?  (Note: I know nothing about IPTC vs. XMP vs. XMPsidecar files, but am very good at following instructions!!)

--Pat

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM can't see exif after Nikon Capture 4 edit-resave
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:02:47 AM »
Pat,

I'm going to give this a try to see if anyone else has experienced the same.  Perhaps it's a Nikon Capture 4.4.2 bug, or maybe I don't have PM (ver. 4.4.3.3) set up correctly (???).

I ingest NEF files with PM and apply IPTC info during ingest.  I batch rename all ingested NEF's with PM.  At this point all camera EXIF data is visible from PM.  If I then edit the NEF in Nikon Capture 4 all of the camera EXIF data is lost ... to PM, Photoshop CS, IDimager (and probably any other program).  As well, ranking data applied in PM is also lost and has to be reapplied.

Yeah, I know, this sounds like bad ju-ju from Capture 4.  I only wonder if there is a workaround that someone else has found?  I can't be the *only* one using Nikon Capture 4 as a RAW converter that wants to retain EXIF info, am I?  Is there some way to use PM to carry this in a sidecar file?  (Note: I know nothing about IPTC vs. XMP vs. XMPsidecar files, but am very good at following instructions!!)

If you want to send us a sample file, we can examine it to see if the EXIF data has been lost entirely or if it has just been moved around or obfuscated.  Click on my name to the left of this message and then click on the "personal message" link.  I will respond with server upload info.

-Kirk