Author Topic: Is cataloging still in the "to do" list?  (Read 22902 times)

Offline mbrown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Is cataloging still in the "to do" list?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 03:13:09 AM »
Me too :-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 06:28:52 AM »
Peter,

No pressure, just asking again ;-)

We're still working on it.

-Kirk

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 09:04:40 AM »
Really glad to hear that you are still working on it. Iview/Expression Media doesn't really inspire much confidence these days, so there is a void which needs to be filled. I really hope Camerabits will take care of that  :)

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »
I just was some times unfaithful to PhotoMechanic, playing around with IDimager.

But after round about a week I'm sick of it.

I'm trustful in Kirk and PM 100% :-)
Cant wait the first alpha and beta-versions

-Brendan
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 01:49:24 PM »
I just switched from PC Win to an Intel Mac. I have my catalogs in a Win only application (Where Is It) and have not many means to convert it to any form compatible with any of the mac apps. This gives me the hard (it seems me now to be impossible) task to find a solution to find a catalog software that can in some way use the existing database.
If I have to reread and catalog all disks again it will be a hard job. And I don't want to repeat it next time when PM cataloging comes out. So I would appreciate any ideas what to choose now to spare the extra (doubble) work next time.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »
I just switched from PC Win to an Intel Mac. I have my catalogs in a Win only application (Where Is It) and have not many means to convert it to any form compatible with any of the mac apps. This gives me the hard (it seems me now to be impossible) task to find a solution to find a catalog software that can in some way use the existing database.
If I have to reread and catalog all disks again it will be a hard job. And I don't want to repeat it next time when PM cataloging comes out. So I would appreciate any ideas what to choose now to spare the extra (doubble) work next time.

Does "Where Is It" have any export capability?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 05:30:52 PM »

Does "Where Is It" have any export capability?

-Kirk

It has a Report Generator advised to use for exporting. But I suppose it doesn't output the image thumbnails it creates only text based information. But maybe it could lead to somewhere.
The older version I use (3.11) has Printer, ASCII, MS Excell, RTF, and HTML outputs. The trial of the newer versions has XML as well. Since most cataloging programs have XML importing, I tried it, but no luck. The other apps either don't answer any more after given this XML, or they respond with an un explaining error code explained only as import error. That's where I am now.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 04:25:04 PM »
It hurts to say this, but I'd rather wait another year instead of having rushed out cr@p.
Cataloging is such a sensitive issue - tons of work go into it and if it turns out to be bad far down the line (as it did for me with iView/Expression Media) this is very very bad.

There are SO many things to consider. Cataloging isn't cataloging.

One example: how much should the files in your catalog be detached from their physical location/folder structure?

I am sure there are tens of different replies to this, as there are various approaches to it. Just look at Aperture's cataloging. Or iView/Expression Media's. Or Portfolio's ...

You get the idea ...

But if PM's cataloging will be on par with the overall quality of this program, I have a LOT of faith ...

Thomas

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 12:38:22 AM »
It hurts to say this, but I'd rather wait another year instead of having rushed out cr@p.
Cataloging is such a sensitive issue - tons of work go into it and if it turns out to be bad far down the line (as it did for me with iView/Expression Media) this is very very bad.

There are SO many things to consider. Cataloging isn't cataloging.

One example: how much should the files in your catalog be detached from their physical location/folder structure?

I am sure there are tens of different replies to this, as there are various approaches to it. Just look at Aperture's cataloging. Or iView/Expression Media's. Or Portfolio's ...

You get the idea ...

But if PM's cataloging will be on par with the overall quality of this program, I have a LOT of faith ...

Thomas

For me cataloging (on the current level I use it under Windows) is solely about finding an image by filename. All searches else are done online with uploaded images. My clients search in an online database containing web resized watermarked images and after choosing the image usage, quality and quantity they need send me the details with an online form. So all I need to do is find the image by the filename and send them the image developed.
So cataloging for me in this business is as simple as finding the disk I have the image on.

Of course if I would have the possibility I would gladly use metadata searches in some cases, and enjoy other sides of an image catalog. But since this is not a main feature (requires plugins to be set appropriately) of Where Is It I used under Windows I didn't bother.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline pkgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 07:18:37 PM »
A couple of quick questions on cataloging.
Is the cataloging feature going a be an integral part of Photo Mechanic or is it going to be a separate application.
How long before we see anything?   One year, two years or five years?  (sorry, I'm getting impatient).
Has any body had any expierence with ACDSee and its cataloging features?

I enjoy the simplicity and efficiency of PM and will continue to use it for ingesting and viewing I just need some type of search capability.

(WinXP pro, PM 4.5.3.1)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 01:39:06 AM »
I enjoy the simplicity and efficiency of PM and will continue to use it for ingesting and viewing I just need some type of search capability.

(WinXP pro, PM 4.5.3.1)

You can search very efficiently using PM, just open your images in a contact sheet you want to search. You even can open complete hierarchies down from the top. Only for search (if your files are online) you don't need cataloging.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline pkgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 05:03:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I have never tried opening 43,000 images, in 402 folders (and growing) into a single contact sheet!

Actually it took aproximately 10 seconds to open up the images into a single contact sheet (which surprized me) and 30 minutes to do a simple keyword search.
Subsequent searches took a lot less time ( 10-15 seconds) but.....    AVG scannning in the back ground.

Will have to investigate further.

Thanks again

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 06:10:54 AM »

For me cataloging (on the current level I use it under Windows) is solely about finding an image by filename. All searches else are done online with uploaded images. My clients search in an online database containing web resized watermarked images and after choosing the image usage, quality and quantity they need send me the details with an online form. So all I need to do is find the image by the filename and send them the image developed.
So cataloging for me in this business is as simple as finding the disk I have the image on. ...

Then you don't have to wait. Get WhereIsIt? http://whereisit-soft.com/ for Windows, or CDFinder http://cdfinder.de/ for Mac and you're all set.

Thomas

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »

So cataloging for me in this business is as simple as finding the disk I have the image on. ...

Then you don't have to wait. Get WhereIsIt? http://whereisit-soft.com/ for Windows, or CDFinder http://cdfinder.de/ for Mac and you're all set.

Thomas

Thanks the offer, but before anyone running into it (like I did a while ago) CDfinder has a win version with the name CDwinder. So it is a better choice than Where Is it. I say it because my current catalog is in Where Is It which is Win only and I cannot export it to be useable under Mac in any software.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »
You can search very efficiently using PM, just open your images in a contact sheet you want to search. You even can open complete hierarchies down from the top. Only for search (if your files are online) you don't need cataloging.
how does the search in recursive folders work?
using the latest version of PM on win10