Author Topic: Is cataloging still in the "to do" list?  (Read 23414 times)

Offline glewbel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Is cataloging still in the "to do" list?
« on: December 28, 2007, 10:38:23 AM »
I've been waiting for several years for cataloging to come to PM, but haven't seen any forum posts to suggest that it's still in the list of features to be added. In the meantime I'm suffering with another application on my Mac that isn't nearly as elegant and reliable as PM, but does allow me to catalog large volumes of images. This is critical for me, but does anyone else care about this feature? Would PM's developers be willing to share their thoughts on this topic?

Thanks -- George

Offline aramb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Is cataloging still in the "to do" list?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 10:49:44 AM »
I am wondering about this too. I would like to know what the projected release date is for a version of PM with the cataloging feature.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 12:23:22 PM »
I've seen Kirk refer to the upcoming cataloguing functionality quite regularly the last few months.  I guess/hope it will be in version 5.  Currently they are working on version 4.6 though, so I guess we need to wait a bit...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 02:20:38 PM »
George,

I've been waiting for several years for cataloging to come to PM, but haven't seen any forum posts to suggest that it's still in the list of features to be added. In the meantime I'm suffering with another application on my Mac that isn't nearly as elegant and reliable as PM, but does allow me to catalog large volumes of images. This is critical for me, but does anyone else care about this feature? Would PM's developers be willing to share their thoughts on this topic?

We're currently working on it.  I don't have a projected release date for you at this time.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 10:08:17 AM »
George,

We're currently working on it.  I don't have a projected release date for you at this time.

-Kirk

Kirk,

Can you give us any outline or hints about the details of PM's proposed cataloging functions?

Thanks

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 10:55:48 AM »
Bill,

Can you give us any outline or hints about the details of PM's proposed cataloging functions?

I cannot give you any specifics at this time.  But it will be a very functional and powerful, multi-user capable cataloging system.

-Kirk

Offline glewbel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:46:44 PM »
Thanks, I'm glad it's still on the to-do list. I'm hoping you'll get this feature into PM pretty soon. If you're open to suggestions, I'd encourage you to have an interface that's as easy to use as iView's interface is/was, but with the flexibility that iMatch provides to those who want to do a little programming. I'm still using iView on the Mac and despite its problems, iView makes it extremely easy it was to add IPTC tags to images. Easy is good!

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 09:48:42 PM »
If you're open to suggestions, I'd encourage you to have an interface that's as easy to use as iView's interface is/was

But don't sell PM to Microsoft ! :P

Offline ptakeuchi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:49:36 PM »
I would definitely like to see this feature in PM as well. I still use Iview, but it's slow and now is under Microsoft's control.

Offline mhedstrom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 05:13:12 PM »
I too am also waiting on pins and needles for this.  I really like Photo Mechanic, and really would love to see this built in.

Offline Al

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 02:07:52 PM »
Just another vote here for your cataloging program as soon as possible.  I've been resisting buying any of the others out there, knowing yours is coming, but I'm getting desperate!  Thanks, Al.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 04:43:15 PM »
Al,

Just another vote here for your cataloging program as soon as possible.  I've been resisting buying any of the others out there, knowing yours is coming, but I'm getting desperate!

Yes, we're working on it.  If your needs are immediate, then you should purchase something else.  If you can wait for a while longer then hold off.

-Kirk

rob.y

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 07:08:14 PM »
You mentioned in December that you did not have a projected release date. Do you think you are any closer to announcing one? No pressure, just asking.
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 08:56:01 PM »
You mentioned in December that you did not have a projected release date. Do you think you are any closer to announcing one? No pressure, just asking.

No closer, no.

-Kirk

Offline HPL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 02:56:53 AM »
No pressure, just asking again ;-)

Peter