Author Topic: curious issue with nikon nef  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Kerry Pierce

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
curious issue with nikon nef
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:38:41 PM »
I'm using PM version 4.5.3 and nikon capture NX version 1.31 for nikon's d300 NEF files.

When editing the NEF files with NX and subsequently closing them, the thumbnail disappears from PM's display.  No changes were intentionally saved to the NEF files and the issue occurred after opening, editing and then closing the file without saving any changes.  All of the files that were edited and saved were saved as JPGs in another folder, not related to the folder with the originals.

Closing and reopening PM fixes the issue until more edits are performed with NX.  I haven't tested to see if the issue also involves other file types or files from other cameras but can do so later. It seems likely that NX is doing something to the files that PM doesn't like.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: curious issue with nikon nef
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 08:49:29 AM »
I'm using PM version 4.5.3 and nikon capture NX version 1.31 for nikon's d300 NEF files.

When editing the NEF files with NX and subsequently closing them, the thumbnail disappears from PM's display.  No changes were intentionally saved to the NEF files and the issue occurred after opening, editing and then closing the file without saving any changes.  All of the files that were edited and saved were saved as JPGs in another folder, not related to the folder with the originals.

Closing and reopening PM fixes the issue until more edits are performed with NX.  I haven't tested to see if the issue also involves other file types or files from other cameras but can do so later. It seems likely that NX is doing something to the files that PM doesn't like.

What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline Kerry Pierce

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 03:40:56 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I'm running Vista Home Premium.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 06:09:22 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I'm running Vista Home Premium.

Could you take one of your NEF files and duplicate it, then do your Capture NX operation on the duplicate and then compare the properties of the two files?  See if the file size has changed and check the creation and modification dates of the files.

Please report your findings back here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kerry Pierce

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »

Could you take one of your NEF files and duplicate it, then do your Capture NX operation on the duplicate and then compare the properties of the two files?  See if the file size has changed and check the creation and modification dates of the files.

I just tried it and it is no longer losing the thumbs as it was when I first posted... ???  This Vista system is the goofiest thing I've ever used...  :(  I've installed several Vista updates since the last time I used PM. Perhaps one of those updates fixed the problem.

Anyway, the properties of the 2 files appear to be identical.  If the problem returns, I'll do another test and report the findings.