Author Topic: Saving from DNG - Not enough resolution  (Read 2927 times)

Offline EdCasati

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saving from DNG - Not enough resolution
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »
(NEVER MIND - I figured it out)
(Use Extract instead of Save)

==========

I have some DNG files that I would like to use to create 'output' files.
When I try to 'Save' the file, I get the following message:
"None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution"

But when I tell PM to email the file in it's original size, it creates a 2256x3376 attachment, which is about a 7MP file.

So why can't I 'save' that file as a JPEG, but I can create a large email attachment just fine?

I am looking for a way to break the "once in Lightroom, forever in Lightroom" quandry by using DNG.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:58:53 AM by EdCasati »

Offline EdCasati

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Saving from DNG - Not enough resolution
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:04:03 AM »
Follow up -

I figured out to use 'Extract' instead of save... but the file rotation is wrong.
Started with a vertical photo (portrait) that is displayed correctly by PM, and the extracted file ends up on it's side (horizontal/landscape).

Bug?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 06:04:36 AM »
Follow up -

I figured out to use 'Extract' instead of save... but the file rotation is wrong.
Started with a vertical photo (portrait) that is displayed correctly by PM, and the extracted file ends up on it's side (horizontal/landscape).

Bug?

Not a bug, really.  The JPEG data in the DNG file is unrotated so when it is extracted it is the exact JPEG data that is contained in the DNG file.  The DNG file contains information to let applications know what orientation the preview should be displayed so that it looks correct.

What we could do is preserve the orientation stored in the DNG and create EXIF data in the JPEG that would let applications know what orientation the image should be displayed.

All of this should be solved in the 4.6 version when Save As will be upgraded to allow saving the embedded preview from RAW files out to a new file.  Then you won't need to use the extract feature for this purpose.

-Kirk

Offline EdCasati

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »
4.6 is starting to sound like a 5.0, with all the improvements.
I really look forward to the 'humanly editable, non-Klingon based' HTML templates.

Thanks for the quick answer