Author Topic: some exif data not appearing in Photo Mechanic for TIFF files  (Read 6669 times)

Offline mskuma

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
some exif data not appearing in Photo Mechanic for TIFF files
« on: December 31, 2007, 09:22:33 PM »
Hi

I created some TIFF files and when these are viewed in PM the aperture & shutter speed data is missing, however the data can be seen when using the program exifer - see the below (see highlighted areas).

Is there a fix for this issue? [edit: I see this with some JPEGs also]. I used a Canon D60 for these.

Regards

Michael.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 09:46:21 PM by mskuma »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: some exif data not appearing in Photo Mechanic for TIFF files
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 10:30:31 PM »
Michael,

I created some TIFF files and when these are viewed in PM the aperture & shutter speed data is missing, however the data can be seen when using the program exifer - see the below (see highlighted areas).

Is there a fix for this issue? [edit: I see this with some JPEGs also]. I used a Canon D60 for these.

No, not at this time.  I would guess that the "missing" data is stored in a maker note that is being put into the TIFF file.  The maker note would have been interpreted in the original image files, but would not be expected to be present in a generic TIFF file.

If you want to send us a sample file, we'll take a look at it.  Contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message and send me a "personal message".  I will respond with server upload info.

-Kirk

Offline mskuma

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:41:34 AM »
Hi

I've just realised the exif data is not being displayed properly for my .CRW files from my Canon D60. I guess this is related to my previously reported issue, though it seems more fundamental since I'm talking about the original RAW files from the camera rather than jpeg/tiff files.

I am using the following 'set info text' data (I assume it's ok):

Lens (mm): {lens}
Lens type: {lenstype}
ISO: {iso}
Aperture: {aperture}
Shutter: {shutter}

I notice no problem with exif data being presented properly with Capture One LE.

This seems like a problem with PM. If so, please fix it. In contrast, I see no such problem with my Canon 5D (the raw file exif data is displayed properly in PM).

(edit: BTW I see no general exif display problem with JPEGs created by my D60, though 'lens type' data is not present).

Regards

Michael.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 04:44:24 AM by mskuma »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 07:12:34 AM »
Michael,

I've just realised the exif data is not being displayed properly for my .CRW files from my Canon D60. I guess this is related to my previously reported issue, though it seems more fundamental since I'm talking about the original RAW files from the camera rather than jpeg/tiff files.

I am using the following 'set info text' data (I assume it's ok):

Lens (mm): {lens}
Lens type: {lenstype}
ISO: {iso}
Aperture: {aperture}
Shutter: {shutter}

I notice no problem with exif data being presented properly with Capture One LE.

This seems like a problem with PM. If so, please fix it. In contrast, I see no such problem with my Canon 5D (the raw file exif data is displayed properly in PM).

(edit: BTW I see no general exif display problem with JPEGs created by my D60, though 'lens type' data is not present).

Are the corresponding .THM files present alongside your .CRW files?

-Kirk

Offline mskuma

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 11:30:50 PM »
Hi Kirk, no the THM files have been deleted. It sounds like this is the problem? That is. THM files contain EXIF data? Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 06:50:08 AM »
Hi Kirk, no the THM files have been deleted. It sounds like this is the problem? That is. THM files contain EXIF data? Thanks.

Yes, that is correct.

-Kirk

Offline mskuma

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »
That's interesting, because Capture One & BreezeBrowser can report exif data despite no THM file.

edit: I just double-checked the exif-viewing situation in PM using the same RAW file I used for the above test in C1 & BB. I confirm there is no exif data in PM. Why is it that C1 & BB can present this data and PM can't?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 06:28:24 PM by mskuma »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 07:12:39 PM »
That's interesting, because Capture One & BreezeBrowser can report exif data despite no THM file.

edit: I just double-checked the exif-viewing situation in PM using the same RAW file I used for the above test in C1 & BB. I confirm there is no exif data in PM. Why is it that C1 & BB can present this data and PM can't?

While I am not the engineer that wrote the code that parses the EXIF data, I do believe that it relies on the THM file for that data.  I'll talk it over with him and ask him if the data could easily be obtained from the CRW file itself.

-Kirk