Author Topic: dng No Preview??  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Gib Robinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
dng No Preview??
« on: January 01, 2008, 12:52:10 PM »
I don't get a preview image from dng files the way I do from Canon raw files by double clicking on the thumbnail. Is there a way to see the preview-size image?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: dng No Preview??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »
I don't get a preview image from dng files the way I do from Canon raw files by double clicking on the thumbnail. Is there a way to see the preview-size image?

It sounds like your DNG files do not contain a preview in them.  When you convert to DNG, set the DNG converter to add previews during conversion.

-Kirk

Offline Gib Robinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 06:36:53 AM »
Kirk,

The dng files I'm referring to are the native raw format of the Leica camera I use. They are not converted from another format.

I have figured out that while I do not get a preview if I double-click on the file, even though I have set the double-click to open a the preview window. I can get a preview with ctrl-R. But that preview is not very useful because it shows "jaggies". Perhaps there is a setting for cache or preview size that would change that.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:17:58 AM »
Kirk,

The dng files I'm referring to are the native raw format of the Leica camera I use. They are not converted from another format.

I have figured out that while I do not get a preview if I double-click on the file, even though I have set the double-click to open a the preview window. I can get a preview with ctrl-R. But that preview is not very useful because it shows "jaggies". Perhaps there is a setting for cache or preview size that would change that.

The Leica camera is only putting a very small preview (thumbnail) image inside your DNG file.  Because Photo Mechanic does not render DNG RAW image data, what you're seeing is the best image that PM can find in your DNG file.

We plan to be able to render DNG files in version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline dnp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
My film scanned images (stored as .dng) from vuescan say "Unsupportedd Format Variant". Lightroom and Pshop can read them though. DNG is pretty standard now, no?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »
My film scanned images (stored as .dng) from vuescan say "Unsupportedd Format Variant". Lightroom and Pshop can read them though. DNG is pretty standard now, no?

That depends on who you ask. ;)

VueScan is not putting a JPEG preview in the DNG file so Photo Mechanic cannot show an image for you.  When DNG rendering is supported in PM then it is quite possible that your images will show up in PM.  But you're going to lose much of the speed of Photo Mechanic when it has to render your massive DNG scan files.

-Kirk