Author Topic: Change name and enter IPTC during ingest  (Read 6045 times)

Offline Goos van der Veen

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
Change name and enter IPTC during ingest
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:24:26 AM »
I let PM change my file names during ingest, using variables to make the capture date part of the name, followed by a sequence number. For reasons that i'll be happy to explain upon request, I also want the file name in the caption. That of course is quite simple using the {fbas} variable. The problem is that during ingest PM first fills in the Caption, and then renames the file, so with {fbas} you get the original filename in the Caption, not the new one.
The workaround is to put the same string of text and variables in the Caption as you use for the renaming. The problem however is if you use the Stationery Pad after ingest to change IPTC on a number of files, you have to erase this string and put {fbas} instead, or you end up wit filename and caption out of sync.

The solution would be that PM during ingest first renames, and then enters IPTC data. Would that be possible?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Change name and enter IPTC during ingest
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »
I let PM change my file names during ingest, using variables to make the capture date part of the name, followed by a sequence number. For reasons that i'll be happy to explain upon request, I also want the file name in the caption. That of course is quite simple using the {fbas} variable. The problem is that during ingest PM first fills in the Caption, and then renames the file, so with {fbas} you get the original filename in the Caption, not the new one.
The workaround is to put the same string of text and variables in the Caption as you use for the renaming. The problem however is if you use the Stationery Pad after ingest to change IPTC on a number of files, you have to erase this string and put {fbas} instead, or you end up wit filename and caption out of sync.

The solution would be that PM during ingest first renames, and then enters IPTC data. Would that be possible?

The scenario you are describing is a tough one to solve and we have been considering solutions for some time now.  None have come to the point to where we can implement them because of complications.

You can always do a second IPTC Stationery Pad application after the images are Ingested to get the new filename into an IPTC field of your choice.

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »
Would you be able to store the original filename {fbas} in an unused IPTC field and then use that field during the file renaming process? IOW, does PM process IPTC fields completely before the file renaming during ingest?

-Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:08:46 AM »
Would you be able to store the original filename {fbas} in an unused IPTC field and then use that field during the file renaming process? IOW, does PM process IPTC fields completely before the file renaming during ingest?

I think the original poster wants the new filename to be tucked away in an IPTC field.  Because of issues related to naming collisions, we don't know what the exact name of the file will be until we begin to write it to disk.  If a file with the same name exists there then the filename has to be renamed further to avoid the collision.  The IPTC Stationery Pad has already been applied before this point in the process.  The best we could provide is a projected name which may not be entirely accurate.

-Kirk

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:51:50 AM »
Ok I might be completely off now, and I have no idea how this would go in reality, nor how it could be, if it could be at all, programmed, but maybe one idea. What if you would allocate filename first, and only then write iptc?
As I said, I don't have any idea if this is even possible, but I have same problem as Goos, just that instead in caption, I extract part of new filename (photos get renamed on ingest) into transmission reference field. For now, I change it with applying tr. reference once again after ingest.

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:09:21 AM »
I think the original poster wants the new filename to be tucked away in an IPTC field.

I see that now. I misunderstood the original question.

Perhaps you could eventually add an option on the ingest dialog to allow for a specific IPTC Stationary Pad Snapshot to be applied after the ingest completes.

-Ian

Offline Goos van der Veen

• View Profile
    • www.goosvanderveen.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 05:09:49 AM »
I think the original poster wants the new filename to be tucked away in an IPTC field.

That's correct.

Because of issues related to naming collisions, we don't know what the exact name of the file will be until we begin to write it to disk.  If a file with the same name exists there then the filename has to be renamed further to avoid the collision.  The IPTC Stationery Pad has already been applied before this point in the process.  The best we could provide is a projected name which may not be entirely accurate. 

I see. It's not an imaginary problem, it happened to me a couple of times.

So maybe the solution to this problem must be preceded by solving (most of the) duplicate filenames problem. I will start another thread about this. [Edit: have already done that: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2610.0]
A projected name is what I get by pasting the renaming formula into the Caption, so if you could make a variable that gives a projected name during ingest and the real name when applied after ingest, that would solve the problem for at least 99%!

>Goos

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:28:05 AM by Goos van der Veen »