Author Topic: Multi-word keywords  (Read 7236 times)

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Multi-word keywords
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:46:29 AM »
All the ways I've tried so far to enter multi-word keywords have resulted in each piece being entered as a separate keyword; this is not useful!  I presume I'm doing something stupid, overlooking some simple approach that works.

This is particularly key for people's names; I've got a few tens of thousands of photos already keyworded as last-name, first-name, and indexed in Thumbs Plus, and I need to keyword new photos the same way.

I've tried using the keyword pane with just the name, and I've tried putting the name in quotes, and neither works, they both end up applying as multiple keywords.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Multi-word keywords
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 09:52:51 AM »
All the ways I've tried so far to enter multi-word keywords have resulted in each piece being entered as a separate keyword; this is not useful!  I presume I'm doing something stupid, overlooking some simple approach that works.

This is particularly key for people's names; I've got a few tens of thousands of photos already keyworded as last-name, first-name, and indexed in Thumbs Plus, and I need to keyword new photos the same way.

I've tried using the keyword pane with just the name, and I've tried putting the name in quotes, and neither works, they both end up applying as multiple keywords.

Multiple keywords are comma-separated.  So if you don't want two words to be considered as two separate keywords, don't put a comma between them.  If you must have a comma between them like: "Baker, Kirk" then we would have to allow for a different keyword separator character like ";" instead.

-Kirk

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 03:08:08 PM »
Yep, I've been using lastname, firstname to identify people for the last umpteen years.  I believe I've also got it in addresses of buildings, like "14 Harriman Rd., Hudson MA". 

Nothing to be done right now?  Only possible hope is a possible future feature?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »
Yep, I've been using lastname, firstname to identify people for the last umpteen years.  I believe I've also got it in addresses of buildings, like "14 Harriman Rd., Hudson MA". 

Nothing to be done right now?  Only possible hope is a possible future feature?

That's correct.  There is no workaround for this issue.

-Kirk

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:09:16 AM »
I personally really like this system where you have the choice of having "joe smith" as one or two keywords just by putting in a comma or not.  It makes this very versatile imho once one is aware of how it works. But yes, having to go back and remove the comma probably could take half an umpteen years. :-(

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »
I personally really like this system where you have the choice of having "joe smith" as one or two keywords just by putting in a comma or not.  It makes this very versatile imho once one is aware of how it works. But yes, having to go back and remove the comma probably could take half an umpteen years. :-(

Right, and if I add the use of ';' as a keyword separator, one could do things like this:

Joe; Smith; Smith, Joe; Joe Smith

With that method everyone can get what they want.  It would be an option of course.

-Kirk