Author Topic: RAW Support  (Read 14399 times)

Offline MarkBothwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RAW Support
« on: April 26, 2006, 08:17:29 AM »
Hi,

This is my first post on here so hopefully somebody can help .... basic question as I used to use PM ages ago, but recently thought of coming back because a) Bridge is crap with RAW, and b) Aperture uses too much RAM for my G4 laptop to cope with on a big shoot.

So, can anybody please confirm that I can view and sort RAWs with the following bodies in PM4 ... 1dsMK2, 5D, 20D ?

Thanks,

Mark

http://www.bothwellphoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: RAW Support
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:19:09 AM »
This is my first post on here so hopefully somebody can help .... basic question as I used to use PM ages ago, but recently thought of coming back because a) Bridge is crap with RAW, and b) Aperture uses too much RAM for my G4 laptop to cope with on a big shoot.

So, can anybody please confirm that I can view and sort RAWs with the following bodies in PM4 ... 1dsMK2, 5D, 20D ?

In the current shipping version of PM, version 4.4.2 you can view the embedded JPEG previews within the CR2 files produced by the cameras you listed.  In version 4.4.3 beta on Mac OS X 10.4.6, you can actually view the converted RAW data.  The final version will allow you to toggle viewing the embedded preview (for speed) and the RAW data (for sharpness accuracy.)

HTH,

-Kirk

G-Force

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:21:34 AM »

In the current shipping version of PM, version 4.4.2 you can view the embedded JPEG previews within the CR2 files produced by the cameras you listed.  In version 4.4.3 beta on Mac OS X 10.4.6, you can actually view the converted RAW data.  The final version will allow you to toggle viewing the embedded preview (for speed) and the RAW data (for sharpness accuracy.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Would a JPEG preview not be good for judging sharpness if it were a full size preview?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:56:37 AM »

Would a JPEG preview not be good for judging sharpness if it were a full size preview?

Now you're getting into religious territory.  Many folks will tell you that a 100% JPEG is as good as a RAW file if properly exposed.  Many folks will tell you the opposite and some will fall somewhere in between.

Some RAW files embed 100% JPEG previews, some embed a half or smaller size preview, or none at all.  For those that were previously not previewable (Nikon 1D NEF, and Canon 1D/1Ds TIFF), the RAW rendering capability is a highly enabling feature for previewing those images within PM.  On newer cameras this is less of an issue because the embedded previews are usually pretty satisfactory for judging if a photo is a potential keeper or should be deleted immediately.

Personally I think 100% JPEG previews are in general very good for judging sharpness.  I do know for a fact that I can view many more of them per hour than I can by rendering RAW files.  JPEGs just load much faster.

-Kirk

Offline MarkBothwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 03:58:54 AM »
OK, thanks guys.

I am playing around with the latest BETA and think the preview speed of the actual RAWs is amazing.

I did a job last weekend and shot around 3GBs of material. When previewing for an immediate edit/transmission for the client (sports media) Bridge was taking an age to thumbnail and sort ready for me to select. PM took seconds to ping them up and that's perfect for me - the performance was easily comparable to my office G5 and Aperture with 2GB of RAM.

Thanks to all,

Mark

http://www.bothwellphoto.com