Author Topic: Remove duplicates  (Read 27795 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: Remove duplicates
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »
I use this as a naming scheme:
{year2}{month0}{day0}-{hour24}{minute}{second}

For the first part, regarding the date I use the same to let me identify the date the image was taken.
But for the second part it is only useful if you never shoot more than one image in a second (or don't mind if file names vary in length since an extra letter or number is added upon your next shot is detected in the same second).

This is why I prefer the 2 digits shorter yet more distinctive {frame} or {actuations:-4,4} if the frame is not useable for some reason. I find this better since I never shoot 10 000 images a day so a four digit counter is enough, and I don't need the hour minute basis in the filenames. But if I would need to find an image by time I have that option too using the capture time.

My only problem with my 6 (date) +4 (frame)+1 (body) filename system is that the machines in the photo labs only print usually 8 digits on the backs of the prints so the images cannot be found again if needed for a reordering.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Remove duplicates
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 12:50:47 PM »
Paval, I do almost the exact same thing, but just use the 4 digit year (otherwise 1994 and 2007 get the wrong sort order), and include the subseconds in the time as well as the model of the camera (this way I get 100% exact names)

BTW: While your variable string does what you want, you could also have used the simpler: {datesort:2}-{timesort} :)
(I use {datesort}_{timesortlong}_{model:6})

Cheers,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl