Author Topic: Copy IPTC from .xmp sidecars to .tif  (Read 4890 times)

Offline crunge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Copy IPTC from .xmp sidecars to .tif
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:33:04 PM »
Quick question:

I want to use Photo Mechanic to annotate my NEF RAW files (with XMP sidecars). I then want to process those NEFs with an application like Capture One, producing TIFFs, then apply the XMP sidecar metadata to the resulting TIFF as easily as possible (since Capture One doesn't respect or carry through XMP sidecar metadata). I can, one by one, go through and copy the metadata from a NEF into the TIFF but am looking for a better way, if there is one, to do this for a large number of images. Any suggestions?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Copy IPTC from .xmp sidecars to .tif
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:46:14 PM »
Hmm, there is no way in PM to match an XMP sidecar file with a TIFF (sidecar files only belong to RAW files).  However, how about embedding the XMP info in the NEF file.  Would Capture One support the info then?
You can integrate the XMP data into the file batch wise by using Tools|Update IPTC/XMP...  (note: make sure you have setup the IPTC/XMP preferences to embed the info in RAW files)

I suggest you first try this on (a copy of) one original file first to see if this would work.

Note: I never use sidecar files with my NEF files, but embed the info in the files.  This works fine and if I export the file to TIFF, the XMP data gets copied over nicely as well.  (I do use Capture NX for processing RAW files though, not Capture One so YMMV)

Hope this helps,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Copy IPTC from .xmp sidecars to .tif
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »
Hmm, there is no way in PM to match an XMP sidecar file with a TIFF (sidecar files only belong to RAW files).  However, how about embedding the XMP info in the NEF file.  Would Capture One support the info then?
You can integrate the XMP data into the file batch wise by using Tools|Update IPTC/XMP...  (note: make sure you have setup the IPTC/XMP preferences to embed the info in RAW files)

I suggest you first try this on (a copy of) one original file first to see if this would work.

Capture One definitely does not like embedded IPTC or XMP data in RAW files.

As for the original question, there is currently no better way to copy XMP data from a RAW file and get it put into a TIFF file via Photo Mechanic than what you're currently doing.  It is a manual process.

I wish the Capture One people would embrace XMP (sidecars or embedded) and make sure that the metadata makes it through to any images that it produces.  It would make a lot of people happy.  Even their latest version (from my second hand understanding) does not do this and XMP sidecar files have been around for more than two years now.

-Kirk

-Kirk