Author Topic: Dont update Embedded IPTC/XMP Preference  (Read 3277 times)

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
Dont update Embedded IPTC/XMP Preference
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:37:22 AM »

Will this have any effect on how Adobe Lightroom / Bridge will see photo data?

Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Dont update Embedded IPTC/XMP Preference
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 06:50:47 AM »
Marc,

Will this have any effect on how Adobe Lightroom / Bridge will see photo data?

Possibly.  But it is better to never embed XMP in RAW files if you're using Adobe products.  See page 114 of the manual for the best settings to use with Adobe products.

-Kirk

Offline rgolub

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »

Possibly.  But it is better to never embed XMP in RAW files if you're using Adobe products.  See page 114 of the manual for the best settings to use with Adobe products.

I'm a little unclear on this last statement.  Do you really mean "embed XMP" data in the RAW file or did you refer to actually writing the IPTC data into the raw file directly?  I routinely do the latter and have not had any problems with Adobe reading the IPTC data.  IMHO, that's one of Photo Mechanics strong points since I hate sidecar XMP files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:44:12 AM »

I'm a little unclear on this last statement.  Do you really mean "embed XMP" data in the RAW file or did you refer to actually writing the IPTC data into the raw file directly?  I routinely do the latter and have not had any problems with Adobe reading the IPTC data.  IMHO, that's one of Photo Mechanics strong points since I hate sidecar XMP files.

It's generally OK to write (embed) IPTC data in RAW files when working with Adobe products.  The troubles come when you write (embed) XMP metadata into RAW files and you use Adobe products.

Adobe has made it pretty clear that XMP sidecar files are the way to go when using RAW files with their products.

-Kirk

Offline rgolub

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:15:31 PM »
OK, just wanted to clarify that a bit.  I'll continue to embed my IPTC data happily.