Author Topic: Version 4.5.3 MUCH slower with TIFF files than 4.4.3.3  (Read 2504 times)

Offline hestoft

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Version 4.5.3 MUCH slower with TIFF files than 4.4.3.3
« on: January 14, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »
Kirk,

It seems that I am back where I started with my on-going difficulties with TIFF files. When I use version 4.4.3.3 on my Windows XP laptop, previews pop up very quickly and when I click on the "I" button on an image, the captioning window appears instantly. In 4.5.3, by contrast, previews are much slower to appear and, when I press the "I" button on an image, many times nothing happens on the first press or click. On the second click, the cursor changes to an hourglass and after ten or so seconds the caption window appears. It is also much slower to WRITE the caption info to the file. It is possible that my caption parameters are different between the two programs, but I think I am just using the defaults.

(This brings up another question, if I want caption images for use in both the Corbis archive and with Digital RailRoad and PhotoShelter, should I change any of the default settings? The various options are very confusing to me and I am not sure what will work best for stock submission. The only advice I could get for Corbis was that if the info was visible in PhotoShop than that was good).

Overall, 4.5.3 seems way less snappy with TIFF files in particular and just in general than 4.4.3.3 on the same machine.

Is there a possible tweak for this? I do remember that in past versions we had problems with speed and large TIFF files (these are scanned slides at around 60mb or so per image).

As always, thanks for any help and advice.

Ralf-Finn Hestoft
www.hestoft.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Version 4.5.3 MUCH slower with TIFF files than 4.4.3.3
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »
Ralf-Finn,

It seems that I am back where I started with my on-going difficulties with TIFF files. When I use version 4.4.3.3 on my Windows XP laptop, previews pop up very quickly and when I click on the "I" button on an image, the captioning window appears instantly. In 4.5.3, by contrast, previews are much slower to appear and, when I press the "I" button on an image, many times nothing happens on the first press or click. On the second click, the cursor changes to an hourglass and after ten or so seconds the caption window appears. It is also much slower to WRITE the caption info to the file. It is possible that my caption parameters are different between the two programs, but I think I am just using the defaults.

I didn't change anything about how TIFF files are loaded since I did the work with you to speed things up.  When I've got some time, I will have to build you a test version that logs timings so we can see where the slowdown is occurring.

Quote from: hestoft
(This brings up another question, if I want caption images for use in both the Corbis archive and with Digital RailRoad and PhotoShelter, should I change any of the default settings? The various options are very confusing to me and I am not sure what will work best for stock submission. The only advice I could get for Corbis was that if the info was visible in PhotoShop than that was good).

What file types are you uploading?

-Kirk