Author Topic: Export file info (variables) to Excel Table  (Read 5561 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Export file info (variables) to Excel Table
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »
Does anyone know whether it's possible to export file infos from all the pictures in a contact sheet into an Excel sheet or even into a text file?

Thanks in advance.
Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Export file info (variables) to Excel Table
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:29:04 PM »
Juerg,

Does anyone know whether it's possible to export file infos from all the pictures in a contact sheet into an Excel sheet or even into a text file?

Yes.  Use the Export dialog.  Choose the Text export module.  Enter the variables you wish to export.  Excel will import comma-separated values or tab-separated values.  If you want tabs to appear in the final output use the {tab} variable between your fields.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »
Kirk,

Great  ;D. I missed that option in export. Works great.

Just one suggestion: Could you add some standard file extensions into the 'file type' drop down window? I guess *.txt, *.xls (Excel) and *.doc (Word) for windows and the corresponding file extensions for MAC would be enough. But at the moment you have to either enter the file extension as part of the filename, or if you forget it, you have to manually rename it and add the file extension you need. Not a big deal, but if some people are not aware of this it could be a real pain for them. Just an idea.

Anyway, this just saved me several days of typing (or copy/past).

Regards,
Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »
Juerg,

Just one suggestion: Could you add some standard file extensions into the 'file type' drop down window? I guess *.txt, *.xls (Excel) and *.doc (Word) for windows and the corresponding file extensions for MAC would be enough. But at the moment you have to either enter the file extension as part of the filename, or if you forget it, you have to manually rename it and add the file extension you need. Not a big deal, but if some people are not aware of this it could be a real pain for them. Just an idea.

The problem with that would be that the data produced would not actually be in those file formats.  It would still be a text file.  Excel and Word files are proprietary formats and are definitely not plain text.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »
Kirk,

The problem with that would be that the data produced would not actually be in those file formats.  It would still be a text file.  Excel and Word files are proprietary formats and are definitely not plain text.

-Kirk

That may be true, but they open fine in the applications. At the moment you don't get an extension at all, not even a TXT. So either you enter an extension to the file manually, or have to manually choose a program from a list every time you want to open it.

As I said, not a big deal for me. More important is that I can do an export so easy.

Juerg