Author Topic: Non standard ISO speeds with Nikon D300  (Read 6889 times)

Offline rgolub

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Non standard ISO speeds with Nikon D300
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:33:13 PM »
I've noticed that PM doesn't show a valid ISO if I use the "non standard" ISO ranges (0.3, 0.7, Hi 1, Hi 2 Hi 3).  I imagine that is because Nikon isn't actually showing the rating in EXIF and / or is using a non standard expression.

It's rather annoying though - any way to get at that data?

Thanks.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Non standard ISO speeds with Nikon D300
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:07:32 PM »
Hmm, I hadn't noticed this, but you're right: with the non-calibrated ISO settings, nothing gets shown for ISO.

(Happens with my D200 too)

Weird...

Probably easy to fix though, Kirk?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »
Hayo,

This seems to work OK on my D200 for H 0.3 (2000), H 0.7 (2500), and H 1.0 (3200).  Using firmware version 2.0.  Can you upload a few non-calibrated HI ISO shots from the D300 to our server (I think you know the address - contact me if not).  Please identify the setting you used (and the expected ISO) in the filenames so I know what to look for.  Hopefully we can detect what is being used and get a fix for 4.5.3.1.

--dennis

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • Morten Vassing│Photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 03:19:07 PM »
Hello,

On the Nikon D3 I'm getting ISO values into the caption dialog via the {iso} Variable for ISO 8000(HI-0.3) 12800 (HI-1) and 25600 (HI-2). However, when I switch to LO-1 et al, I getting blank input instead of the numerical value of the low ISO.

I uploaded three samples to the CB ftp server.

Morten
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
On the Nikon D3 I'm getting ISO values into the caption dialog via the {iso} Variable for ISO 8000(HI-0.3) 12800 (HI-1) and 25600 (HI-2). However, when I switch to LO-1 et al, I getting blank input instead of the numerical value of the low ISO.

Morten,

Thanks for the samples.  It looks like the LO 1 image is missing the Exif tag for ISO.  Its not in the file, and that is why we report is as blank (Preview on Mac doesn't show it either).  Don't know why Nikon did that - consider it a firmware bug unless it was processed by some other software like Capture NX...

--dennis

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • Morten Vassing│Photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 03:10:41 PM »
Thanks Dennis,

It must be a Nikon bug then as the D3 samples are JPEGs extracted from NEFs in PM 4.5.3 on Mac OS X 10.5.1 and no others apps involved.

Thanks,

Morten
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 05:09:34 PM »
It must be a Nikon bug then as the D3 samples are JPEGs extracted from NEFs in PM 4.5.3 on Mac OS X 10.5.1 and no others apps involved.

Morten,

I was wondering why your sample JPEGs were so small (960x639)...  Maybe the source NEF file is missing the ISO?  I looked at the code and we should be including the ISO when extracting JPEGs.  I tried this with a H 1 setting from a D200 NEF and the extracted JPEG still has the ISO.

Please let me know if you see the ISO in the original NEF, otherwise I may need a sample NEF from you and instructions on how to repeat using PM 4.5.3.

--dennis

Offline fotoguy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Sticks & Stones Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 08:21:48 AM »
Also, when the D300 ISO is set to variable (i.e, 200-400), the ISO doesn't show. Is it more likely a Nikon bug or PM?
I've got PM 4.5.3 on a Mac 10.4.11.
Joe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 08:43:30 AM »
Also, when the D300 ISO is set to variable (i.e, 200-400), the ISO doesn't show. Is it more likely a Nikon bug or PM?
I've got PM 4.5.3 on a Mac 10.4.11.

Without having a sample image it is hard to say.  Please contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message and then send me a "personal message".  I'll respond with server upload information so you can send us a sample image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline fotoguy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Sticks & Stones Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 08:53:15 PM »
Without having a sample image it is hard to say.  Please contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message and then send me a "personal message".  I'll respond with server upload information so you can send us a sample image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Hi Kirk --
I contacted Dennis and uploaded some files.
After experimenting some more, I determined that with the camera ISO set to a specific low range and the variable ISO range enabled, the ISO won't show in PM ONLY when the flash is used. I assume the same is true in the high range, tho I didn't test it.
Joe

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 06:27:11 AM »
This seems to work OK on my D200 for H 0.3 (2000), H 0.7 (2500), and H 1.0 (3200).  Using firmware version 2.0.  Can you upload a few non-calibrated HI ISO shots from the D300 to our server (I think you know the address - contact me if not).  Please identify the setting you used (and the expected ISO) in the filenames so I know what to look for.  Hopefully we can detect what is being used and get a fix for 4.5.3.1.

Dennis, I've been away from the forum a while (work and holiday), do you still need some examples?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »
Bumping this oldy as I'm not sure this has ever been solved for the D300.

It certainly wasn't fixed for the D3; I still see the problem with ISO values not showing up for certain settings on my D3. It certainly doesn't show it for ISO100 (Lo 1.0) settings as I just looked at some ISO100 shots.
I think, however, it doesn't work for any of the the LO or HI settings (e.g., ISO < 100 or ISO > 6400 on a D3). Just don't have a test shot handy, for those ISO settings (if necessary I can create one of course ;)).
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 09:33:16 AM »
Just noticed this on my D3 low ISO shots.  I too would like to see this addressed.

Deven