Author Topic: Loosing color class selection after returning from fullscreen preview..  (Read 29089 times)

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

Hmmm.. maybe ist not a real feature request rather than a bugfix.. but anyhow..
When i use color classes and select them by ctrl-alt-(number), i can show only those selected by pressing F2.. neat.. it works..
i can go to preview and can flip around back and forth with the pictures .. everything is fine, as long as i dont go to full screen..
because after returning from fullscreen my color class selection is lost and i have only one picture left on the screen..

is this a planned behavior.. or am i dong anything wrong..
please advice..

kind regards, Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hi,

Hmmm.. maybe ist not a real feature request rather than a bugfix.. but anyhow..
When i use color classes and select them by ctrl-alt-(number), i can show only those selected by pressing F2.. neat.. it works..
i can go to preview and can flip around back and forth with the pictures .. everything is fine, as long as i dont go to full screen..
because after returning from fullscreen my color class selection is lost and i have only one picture left on the screen..

is this a planned behavior.. or am i dong anything wrong..
please advice..

Here is what I tried.  I opened a folder that had various color classes set.  I typed Ctrl-Alt-1 to select color class 1.  I pressed F2.  Only the two selected items were left on the Contact Sheet.  I clicked on the preview button on one of the images.  I previewed each of the two images and then closed the Preview window.  When I came back to the Contact sheet window, both photos were there and both were still selected.

I tried it with the Preview window in 'full screen' mode and also showing the thumbnails and sidebar controls.  No problems.  I also tried the same things on the Mac version.  No problems.

Perhaps you left a detail or two out of your description.  Is there anything else I need to do to the photos when I preview them?

I think I'll need more info to reproduce your problem.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk,
well, obviously, we are talking about two different versions, because like i said.. it does not work on my Notebook (IBM T42, XP, lots of stuff installed as usually..)
Do i need a different version..?? (mine is 4.4.3 File date: May 9th 2006)

Next thing it would request is, to hold the selected picture on the screen, while zooming in and out..
Example: in the largest single view (slider completly right) i select a picture.. now i move the slider to the left.. and my picture is lost.. it's still selected somewhere, but of the screen.. feature.. oder bug.. anyhow.. maybe resolveable for the next release.. should be easy to keep the picture's position and show it on the screen somewhere, without scrolling around (extremely nice in large amounts of pictures)
kind regards, Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hi Kirk,
well, obviously, we are talking about two different versions, because like i said.. it does not work on my Notebook (IBM T42, XP, lots of stuff installed as usually..)

Next thing it would request is, to hold the selected picture on the screen, while zooming in and out..
Example: in the largest single view (slider completly right) i select a picture.. now i move the slider to the left.. and my picture is lost.. it's still selected somewhere, but of the screen.. feature.. oder bug.. anyhow.. maybe resolveable for the next release.. should be easy to keep the picture's position and show it on the screen somewhere, without scrolling around (extremely nice in large amounts of pictures)
kind regards, Mike

What slider and in what part of the interface?  Preview?  Contact Sheet?

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk,

kind regards, Mike

-Kirk

Contact sheet - Thumbnail Size

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hi Kirk,

kind regards, Mike

The Contact Sheet tries to keep the current top left thumbnail on screen.  What you're suggesting would work fine if there was only one item selected, but what if there were many selected and the selection was not contiguous?  Which one should stay on screen?

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk,

kind regards, Mike

The Contact Sheet tries to keep the current top left thumbnail on screen.  What you're suggesting would work fine if there was only one item selected, but what if there were many selected and the selection was not contiguous?  Which one should stay on screen?

-Kirk

well, how's about that one..  which was last in the preview window.. that's the one i'm looking for.. and now i need to scroll around in the contact sheet to find it.. would be great, if you keep the last one on the screen somewhere, even though, there are some more selected..

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile

Problem #1:
Hi Kirk,

kind regards, Mike

-Kirk

Feature #2: well, how's about that one..  which was last in the preview window.. that's the one i'm looking for.. and now i need to scroll around in the contact sheet to find it.. would be great, if you keep the last one on the screen somewhere, even though, there are some more selected..

Feature #3: Additional.. if you select a color class.. it would be a great help to be able to switch dircetly between color classes.. instead of - F1 (for unselect) - CTRL+ALT+Number (to select the other color class) and then F2 (to isolatethe new colorclass) again..

If there is a beta version of your improvements, just let me know by mail. i'll be glad to do some testing for you.. but before we should be able to identify and hopefully solve my first problem (with loosing selected color classes..) because i'ts still not working..
For the refernce, i reference this three topics by number 1..3
Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.

Problem #1:
Hi Kirk,

kind regards, Mike

-Kirk

Feature #2: well, how's about that one..  which was last in the preview window.. that's the one i'm looking for.. and now i need to scroll around in the contact sheet to find it.. would be great, if you keep the last one on the screen somewhere, even though, there are some more selected..

Feature #3: Additional.. if you select a color class.. it would be a great help to be able to switch dircetly between color classes.. instead of - F1 (for unselect) - CTRL+ALT+Number (to select the other color class) and then F2 (to isolatethe new colorclass) again..

If there is a beta version of your improvements, just let me know by mail. i'll be glad to do some testing for you.. but before we should be able to identify and hopefully solve my first problem (with loosing selected color classes..) because i'ts still not working..

Well, if I cannot reproduce your issue, then I cannot solve it.  As of yet I cannot reproduce your issue.

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile

Problem #1:
Hi Kirk,

kind regards, Mike

-Kirk

Well, if I cannot reproduce your issue, then I cannot solve it.  As of yet I cannot reproduce your issue.

-Kirk

agreed.
But maybe you have some ideas, what could be causing this type of problem.. i would'nt be so "naggy" if the function of selecting and keeping color classes wouldn't be so important to me.. esspecially, when you have a large number of pictures,it's extremly handsome to get your best shots in time..

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ok, here it is..
after playing around some time.. i found the "problem " actually it is not a problem rather than a functional missunderstanding.. or missing function..
When you already have a selected color class, you press F2.. everything is fine.. when you now do a double click on one of the picture..
you loose your selection (not the color class, but the highlighting is gone..) after returning from preview you have only one picture.. the one which you saw in preview..
But.. when you use the aperture icon in the picture to go to preview and come back, eversthing is fine.. not brilliant, but this works for me now..

Now i have a functional request to have a better functionality coping with color classes..
A color class selection, which stays permanent, until i change it would be very neat.. maybe with Alt<Num> to change the selection,
without having to press F2 after each selection. Tihs will speed up the pre-selection out of large amounts of pictures ..
Milke

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Ok, here it is..
after playing around some time.. i found the "problem " actually it is not a problem rather than a functional missunderstanding.. or missing function..
When you already have a selected color class, you press F2.. everything is fine.. when you now do a double click on one of the picture..
you loose your selection (not the color class, but the highlighting is gone..) after returning from preview you have only one picture.. the one which you saw in preview..
But.. when you use the aperture icon in the picture to go to preview and come back, eversthing is fine.. not brilliant, but this works for me now..

Ctrl-R will also open up the Preview window with your selection.

Quote from: emgab
Now i have a functional request to have a better functionality coping with color classes..
A color class selection, which stays permanent, until i change it would be very neat.. maybe with Alt<Num> to change the selection,
without having to press F2 after each selection. Tihs will speed up the pre-selection out of large amounts of pictures ..

No need.  You need to use the Color Class Filter Widget at the bottom right corner of the Contact Sheet.  Let's say you only want to see the Winners (Color Class 1).  Great.  Just hold down the Shift key and click on the leftmost colored square (it's magenta by default) and all of the other Color Classes will disappear.  Now you don't need to view by selected anymore.  When you come back from the Preview window you may have to press F5 to refresh/refilter but that's it.

Now that I fully understand your issue I can tell that the Color Class Filter Widget will solve your problem.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks !! This is my solution.. is should have RTFM :)) Thanks for your patience and help on this one..

Now we can move to my last feature request..  about keeping the picture selection while coming back from preview in to contact sheet.
i'd like to see the picture highlighted in contact sheet on the screen, when i come back from preview..
At the moment, i need to scroll around in the contact sheet to find it..
would be great, if you just keep the last picture highlighted on the screen somewhere.. and if there are more selected.. dont care about their position..
Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Thanks !! This is my solution.. is should have RTFM :)) Thanks for your patience and help on this one..

Now we can move to my last feature request..  about keeping the picture selection while coming back from preview in to contact sheet.
i'd like to see the picture highlighted in contact sheet on the screen, when i come back from preview..
At the moment, i need to scroll around in the contact sheet to find it..
would be great, if you just keep the last picture highlighted on the screen somewhere.. and if there are more selected.. dont care about their position..

If you only have one item selected when you go into the Preview window, then when you come out of the Preview window, the last viewed Photo will be selected.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline emgab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Yeah, this is correct..
but the picture will not stay on the screen when i move the slider (thumbnail size) to the right..
since you keep the focus on the upper left picture..
i would love to being able to see the previewed picture on the screen, even when i change the thumbnail size..
Mike