Author Topic: Unable to render image  (Read 7053 times)

Offline skelltl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unable to render image
« on: January 23, 2008, 07:10:04 AM »
Received a meesage unable to render image.   When I do a directory listing I see that the picture only has 17kb.  These pictures were copied from a SD card.  Not all the pictures that were copied from the card at the same time are bad.  Some are normal.  Has anyone seen this?
Update:  I just looked at the SD card and the pictures are ok there.   He used the Photo Mechanic tag and copy the pictures to a folder on his desktop.  So something went wrong during the copy.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:35:40 AM by skelltl »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unable to render image
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
Received a meesage unable to render image.   When I do a directory listing I see that the picture only has 17kb.  These pictures were copied from a SD card.  Not all the pictures that were copied from the card at the same time are bad.  Some are normal.  Has anyone seen this?

What OS are you running?
What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

Since the directory listing indicates that the file sizes are small, you're going to need something like ImageRescue to try and salvage the images.

-Kirk

Offline skelltl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:40:43 AM »
It is a HP laptop running Windows XP Professional with Service pack 2.  Photo Mechanic is version 4.5.3.     I have the orginal SD card with the images still on it and they are good so I don't need to rescue the image.   He used the copy process within Photo Mechanic to copy the photos to a folder on the desktop.  Something happen during the copy because the orginal photo is good.   

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »
It is a HP laptop running Windows XP Professional with Service pack 2.  Photo Mechanic is version 4.5.3.     I have the orginal SD card with the images still on it and they are good so I don't need to rescue the image.   He used the copy process within Photo Mechanic to copy the photos to a folder on the desktop.  Something happen during the copy because the orginal photo is good.   

Were there any error messages in the Ingest progress dialog?

-Kirk

Offline mad dog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 02:01:21 AM »
I have just had the same problem, following the same processes as usual, and the images that are not scanning thru ok change each time i load pm. sometimes the thumbnails come up and when i open the image it briefly shows before displaying the black screen/'unable to render image' message. this is the first time this has happened. i'm on a new vista os toshiba satellite laptop, has been working ok prior to this. photos are from a week ago, had been ingested successfully and are full size etc.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 06:37:20 AM »
I have just had the same problem, following the same processes as usual, and the images that are not scanning thru ok change each time i load pm. sometimes the thumbnails come up and when i open the image it briefly shows before displaying the black screen/'unable to render image' message. this is the first time this has happened. i'm on a new vista os toshiba satellite laptop, has been working ok prior to this. photos are from a week ago, had been ingested successfully and are full size etc.

What kind of images are they?
Can you upload them to our server?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »
I've been having the same issue but with slightly different params. HP laptop, Vista, Sandisk CF cards, PM 4.5.3.   The 3rd (always the 3rd??) file fails to render. If I go back to the card the file is there safe and sound. If I open the file in CS2 a portion of the picture is truncated and a portion of some other image is welded in. Had it happen today, I just deleted the file as it wasn't a keeper anyway. I'm using a Delkin Express Card 34 reader to ingest the files to my laptop.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 04:48:25 PM »
I've been having the same issue but with slightly different params. HP laptop, Vista, Sandisk CF cards, PM 4.5.3.   The 3rd (always the 3rd??) file fails to render. If I go back to the card the file is there safe and sound. If I open the file in CS2 a portion of the picture is truncated and a portion of some other image is welded in. Had it happen today, I just deleted the file as it wasn't a keeper anyway. I'm using a Delkin Express Card 34 reader to ingest the files to my laptop.

What happens if you copy the image directly from the card to your hard drive using Windows Explorer?  Is the image complete?

Are you ingesting one card after another?

-Kirk

Offline mad dog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 05:04:03 AM »
my images are from my 1D mkIII, they come up ok when i use it on my mac but when i try to view them on my pc laptop some don't scan ok, though when i move files some of the previously unreadable shots become readable, and preview fine in other programs.

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 06:13:15 AM »
Kirk I'm off this week (YEA!!!!) My baseball season will open on 4/5 and I'm sure that I will have at least a few files that I can u/l to you. Yes I ingest one card after the next. This is happening to jpegs from both a D2Xs and a D3. I do not get any error messages or any other indication that the is a problem with the ingest. Each time that it has happened I have simply put the card back in the machine and pulled the file over with explorer without issue. I have also re-ingested the files and had the file come over fine. It is VERY intermittent and unpredictable.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 07:08:02 AM »
Eric,

Kirk I'm off this week (YEA!!!!) My baseball season will open on 4/5 and I'm sure that I will have at least a few files that I can u/l to you. Yes I ingest one card after the next. This is happening to jpegs from both a D2Xs and a D3. I do not get any error messages or any other indication that the is a problem with the ingest. Each time that it has happened I have simply put the card back in the machine and pulled the file over with explorer without issue. I have also re-ingested the files and had the file come over fine. It is VERY intermittent and unpredictable.

OK.  This is sounding like the data from the previous card is being cached by the OS and when the new card is read, the OS is feeding us the previous card's data, but only sometimes.  It may be that Vista has a problem recognizing fully when a card is changed.  Mac OS X has definitely had this problem in various OS versions.

How is the card loaded into your system?  What kind of reader are you using?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 08:47:43 AM »
I use a Delkin ExpressCard 34. I really like the express card reader as it is FAST with the Sandisk Extreme IV's.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 09:29:19 AM »
I use a Delkin ExpressCard 34. I really like the express card reader as it is FAST with the Sandisk Extreme IV's.

Try ejecting and then reinserting the hardware between Ingests.  This should cause reloading of the driver and release of all disk caching by the OS.

-Kirk