Author Topic: PM will not write certain data to NEF files....?????  (Read 4323 times)

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
PM will not write certain data to NEF files....?????
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
So it would seem that PM can not, or will not write my personal contact information to a nikon file NEF.  It will with .dng, .psd and .jpg but not to .nef....  Am I the only one with this issue?  This is a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR issues...  I've just spent HOURS updating image fiels 'assuming' that this data would be written. I've been spot checking but not all my NEF files....  Wow, not cool...

Anyone else seeing this?  How long has this program been around?  It's a pro tool??

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM will not write certain data to NEF files....?????
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 06:36:06 PM »
So it would seem that PM can not, or will not write my personal contact information to a nikon file NEF.  It will with .dng, .psd and .jpg but not to .nef....  Am I the only one with this issue?  This is a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR issues...  I've just spent HOURS updating image fiels 'assuming' that this data would be written. I've been spot checking but not all my NEF files....  Wow, not cool...

Anyone else seeing this?  How long has this program been around?  It's a pro tool??

Are you certain that you're telling PM to write IPTC4XMP into your NEF files?  Only IPTC4XMP is capable of storing that information.  Legacy IPTC cannot store those additional fields.  We even state this in the IPTC dialogs.  You need to open up the Preferences dialog, click on the IPTC/XMP tab and then tell PM to embed IPTC4XMP data into your TIFF-based RAW files, or you need to tell PM to create XMP sidecar files.

I'm sorry you've been having so much trouble with Photo Mechanic, but you would make it much easier for me to help you if you would answer my questions in some of the other threads you started.  Frankly, I am finding it difficult to give you support.

And please stop questioning whether Photo Mechanic is a professional tool.  Thousands of photographers use it every day to get their work done faster with Photo Mechanic than any other application on the market.  We provide a twenty day demo for users to determine if Photo Mechanic meets their needs or not.  It is up to you to decide purchase it or not.

And for the record, Photo Mechanic has been around for more than ten years.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 08:09:18 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline courtlevephoto

• View Profile
Re: PM will not write certain data to NEF files....?????
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 10:30:33 AM »
Kirk/All.  I have been learning this program as fast as humanly possible on my end.  There have been a few glitches that don't make sense.  Now, for what ever reason, things seems to be running as they should.  The search functions are working, I'm able to pull two folders into one, data is being stored properly to my NEF files, etc..  I can now see the light and realize much of my issues were user error, except for PM hanging and crashing my computer this morning...  This happens with any software from time to time though I suppose. 

In short, I appologize and appreciate your quick support and that from your team over the phone.  Not sure why some of the issues I've had weren't addressed over the phone when I"ve asked, "anything else I need to know"..  But, the program offers a lot and a lot to learn too....  Dealing with 100,000 plus image files, I've stressed myself out.  Sorry to offend.  It's obvious PM has had a lot of engineering, is a product that is loved by its creators and will continue to improve over the years-hopefully with MUCH better PSD support as there are some folders I can not modify via PM due to file sizes, like my master print folders that have images that are over 100mb each.... 

In short, I've been able to accomplish in a matter of days what I've not been able to do with other software due to it's speed.

Thanks, and sorry I was a you know what on this forum.

Best regards,