Author Topic: PM doesn't close down completely in Win XP  (Read 31801 times)

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
PM doesn't close down completely in Win XP
« on: June 11, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »
Kirk... When I close PM, the UI part of the program goes away.   But then I can't restart PM.   The solution is to go to Windows task manager and kill the still-running process 'photomechanic.exe' -- then I can restart PM from the Start menu.   Not a big problem, just one I though you should be aware of.

I'm using Win XP Pro Service Pack 2.  PM 4.4.3 - (and this happened before I upgraded to 4.4.3 too)

Ron

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM doesn't close down completely in Win XP
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 11:26:33 PM »
Kirk... When I close PM, the UI part of the program goes away.   But then I can't restart PM.   The solution is to go to Windows task manager and kill the still-running process 'photomechanic.exe' -- then I can restart PM from the Start menu.   Not a big problem, just one I though you should be aware of.

I'm using Win XP Pro Service Pack 2.  PM 4.4.3 - (and this happened before I upgraded to 4.4.3 too)

I've never been able to reproduce this issue locally.  When I have tried logging versions of PM with persons like yourself, I see that the last line of code executes properly and then Microsoft's runtime just won't exit for some reason unknown to me.

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 01:10:52 AM »
I have exact same problem running 4.4.3 on Windows XP (all latest XP updates). When you quit PM, an instance of photomechanic.exe is left running in background, closable only via task manager. However, I am able to start another instance. Also if I do a shutdown/restart I get an error window saying PM couldn't close, and have to do an "end now". Rgds, Ben

Offline Tony Fiorda

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 09:00:04 AM »
Kirk,

I've seen this before also, but when I've seen it I have usually been using PM remotely.  Such as, I am on machine B, remote desktop connected to machine A running PM.  When I quit PM on machine A I usually see where PM didn't shut completely.  Unfortunately, it doesn't happen to me consistently.  I just close the task with task manager and continue.

Tony...
Tony...

Offline Andrew MacKay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Keaphotos.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 08:59:36 PM »
Noticed that this happened to me lastnight Kirk, PM 4..4.3.1 beta 2 on windows Xp sp2 with all the latest patches, running on a dell 9400.

I've checked the systems logs and their is nothing obvious there, I had spend a good deal of time accessing a shared volume on my server prior to this issue.

Let me know if you want me to dig further.

Andrew

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 10:28:51 PM »
Noticed that this happened to me lastnight Kirk, PM 4..4.3.1 beta 2 on windows Xp sp2 with all the latest patches, running on a dell 9400.

I've checked the systems logs and their is nothing obvious there, I had spend a good deal of time accessing a shared volume on my server prior to this issue.

Let me know if you want me to dig further.

Do you have debugging capability (Visual Studio .NET)?

-Kirk

Offline PerF

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 05:36:17 AM »
I have this problem as well with Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.2 BETA1 running on Danish Win XP. After having used Sony Ericsson PC Suite (SEPCS), with which I had no problems prior to installing PM, both appilication became unusuable: If I started PM, SEPCS tried to start during the boot and both applications crashed. If I started SEPCS, explorer.exe crashed.

I uninstalled SEPCS and the rest works well: the photomecanic.exe process doesn't hang anymore.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 07:04:32 AM »
I have this problem as well with Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.2 BETA1 running on Danish Win XP. After having used Sony Ericsson PC Suite (SEPCS), with which I had no problems prior to installing PM, both appilication became unusuable: If I started PM, SEPCS tried to start during the boot and both applications crashed. If I started SEPCS, explorer.exe crashed.

I uninstalled SEPCS and the rest works well: the photomecanic.exe process doesn't hang anymore.

What is SEPCS and what does it do?  Is there a way I can download and install it locally?  Because if I can get the "it doesn't really exit, just the UI disappears" problem to happen in the debugger, I can see what part of PM isn't exiting.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline PerF

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 11:44:39 PM »
Sony Ericsson PC Suite (SEPCS) is used to syncronize calendar and contacts, and to set up mobile networking on a Sony Ericsson cell phone. It is available for free download here: http://www.sonyericsson.com/downloads/PC_Suite_1.7.10.exe

Hope this helps

Per

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 06:57:12 AM »
Sony Ericsson PC Suite (SEPCS) is used to syncronize calendar and contacts, and to set up mobile networking on a Sony Ericsson cell phone. It is available for free download here: http://www.sonyericsson.com/downloads/PC_Suite_1.7.10.exe

I don't have one of those cell phones.  Will the software install without a cell phone available, and will it still exhibit the problem?

Also, if you would like to try the 4.4.3.3 beta (in which I have fixed a number of things) please contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message.  I'll give you a link to download the program.

-Kirk

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 05:52:09 PM »
I also have a problem with the latest release and XP closing completely.  It generates an error message and I ship it off to whatever camerabit email address, but I have not heard from anyone on a solution.  I'm assuming that this will be addressed in the next release.   On my Win2000 laptop I don't have a problem. 

My desktop is running on a AMD XP2000+ chip with 768MB ram @ 1.67ghz.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 08:31:42 PM »
I also have a problem with the latest release and XP closing completely.  It generates an error message and I ship it off to whatever camerabit email address, but I have not heard from anyone on a solution.  I'm assuming that this will be addressed in the next release.   On my Win2000 laptop I don't have a problem. 

My desktop is running on a AMD XP2000+ chip with 768MB ram @ 1.67ghz.

I'm specifically looking for people just like you that may be willing to test the beta to see if it stops the crash on exit.  Please send me a private message and I'll give you a download link.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 11:46:45 PM »
I am running 4.4.3.3 and just had PM refuse to end nicely when I shutdown.  I believe that I had actually closed it prior to starting shutdown. There was no icon in the bar across the bottom.  When WinXP Pro reported that it didn't stop I chose the option to let it continue to run and checked it in Task Manager and then ended it from there. It was still holding a fair amount of resource.  I have don't have visual studio or the like on this box.  My box is WinXP Pro with all patches on AMD 4600+, 4GB RAM, about 1T storage in RAID1 and RAID5.  I tend to bring PM up, use it and let it sit for hours at a time.  Note: this was not a crash, just refusal to exit properly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 07:06:03 AM »
I am running 4.4.3.3 and just had PM refuse to end nicely when I shutdown.  I believe that I had actually closed it prior to starting shutdown. There was no icon in the bar across the bottom.  When WinXP Pro reported that it didn't stop I chose the option to let it continue to run and checked it in Task Manager and then ended it from there. It was still holding a fair amount of resource.  I have don't have visual studio or the like on this box.  My box is WinXP Pro with all patches on AMD 4600+, 4GB RAM, about 1T storage in RAID1 and RAID5.  I tend to bring PM up, use it and let it sit for hours at a time.  Note: this was not a crash, just refusal to exit properly.

Download the 4.4.3.3 installer again and reinstall.  The problem you are experiencing was fixed shortly after the initial release.

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 02:38:26 PM »
Well, can't beat that for support! :-)