Author Topic: PM doesn't close down completely in Win XP  (Read 31803 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM doesn't close down completely in Win XP
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 05:32:02 PM »
Well, can't beat that for support! :-)

We're truly sorry for any inconvenience this "silent" update has caused anyone.  We just really didn't want a 4.4.3.4 update one day later and it appeared from our server logs that only a handful of people downloaded the initial 4.4.3.3 release.  While it is inconvenient for those folks, especially since we have no way of telling them to download again, the solution is easy enough: download again and reinstall.

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 10:44:38 PM »
Well, I did download 4.4.3.3 again and reinstalled and still have this problem. Is there a way to tell which version is which? It you have a diagnostic version with logging to the event log or somesuch please let me know. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 10:47:35 PM »
Well, I did download 4.4.3.3 again and reinstalled and still have this problem. Is there a way to tell which version is which? It you have a diagnostic version with logging to the event log or somesuch please let me know. 

Get properties on the application.  If it says that it is version 4.4.3.3 then you truly have the latest version.

Do you have any shell extensions installed?

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 10:04:39 AM »
The properties Description field says 4.4.3.3.  I don't know what shell extensions are (but they sound very useful) so I expect that I don't have any running.  I see nothing in any of the event logs near these times but I did not attend closely.  Should I look to see if the Task Manager sees PM after it appears to close?  Does PM have more than one process?  I am running WinXP Pro 2002, SP2, no build information on AMD 64X2 Dual Core 4400+ 2.21 GHz 3.37 GB RAM a TB of disk storage in two RAID arrays. You can email me if you'd like me to attempt any diagnostic procedures.  I not recall having this issue on my "work" machine at school ... might it be SMP related? I'll check back here tonight or tomorrow, too.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 11:24:21 AM »
The properties Description field says 4.4.3.3.  I don't know what shell extensions are (but they sound very useful) so I expect that I don't have any running.  I see nothing in any of the event logs near these times but I did not attend closely.  Should I look to see if the Task Manager sees PM after it appears to close?  Does PM have more than one process?  I am running WinXP Pro 2002, SP2, no build information on AMD 64X2 Dual Core 4400+ 2.21 GHz 3.37 GB RAM a TB of disk storage in two RAID arrays. You can email me if you'd like me to attempt any diagnostic procedures.  I not recall having this issue on my "work" machine at school ... might it be SMP related? I'll check back here tonight or tomorrow, too.

Shell extensions allow developers to create new containers that show up in Windows Explorer just like Desktop, Network Neighborhood, Recycle Bin, etc.  Cell phone manufacturers for instance can create a shell extension that allows you to browse the photos taken on your phone when the phone is connected to the computer.

We have found that some of these shell extensions can cause issues for Photo Mechanic, because they don't always clean up after themselves.

Do you have anything that shows up at the top level of your Windows Explorer windows that aren't the usual items?

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 04:57:19 PM »
Top Level? Like "Desktop"? No ... in addition to the MS things I have only WS_FTP Pro Explorer.

In the right click image dropdown I have a couple Opanda options for EXIF and GPS data, ADOBE PDF / Acrobat, Textpad and WinZip.

On an image folder I have "Make Porta Album" and the PM options. I can get rid of the Porta Album as soon as we go to 4.5 with the promised album/gallery enhancements.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 05:16:18 PM »
Top Level? Like "Desktop"? No ... in addition to the MS things I have only WS_FTP Pro Explorer.

In the right click image dropdown I have a couple Opanda options for EXIF and GPS data, ADOBE PDF / Acrobat, Textpad and WinZip.

On an image folder I have "Make Porta Album" and the PM options. I can get rid of the Porta Album as soon as we go to 4.5 with the promised album/gallery enhancements.

Could you send me a screenshot of the left hand side of one of your Windows Explorer windows?  Contact me privately for an email address to send the attachment to.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 05:29:22 PM »

Could you send me a screenshot of the left hand side of one of your Windows Explorer windows?  Contact me privately for an email address to send the attachment to.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Sure ... email me your email address using my email address from my profile here!  [Lord, that sounds like half the SPAM I get.]

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 07:39:30 PM »
It's in the [e]mail.

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 09:20:21 AM »
Good morning, Kirk.  I am back, er, I mean up, so let me know what's next.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 01:03:19 PM »
Good morning, Kirk.  I am back, er, I mean up, so let me know what's next.

Well, it may take a while.  I'm going to have to get that additional software you have installed on your system installed locally.  Then we'll have to figure out what is going on and see if we can fix it.

I'll let you know if/when we come up with a solution.

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 01:27:21 PM »
Doesn't hang everytime I shutdown ... I will attend to whether it hangs if I use any of the Ipswich package.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »
Doesn't hang everytime I shutdown ... I will attend to whether it hangs if I use any of the Ipswich package.

I downloaded a trial version of WS_FTP Professional.  I installed it, but I still didn't see the shell extension that you have in your screenshots.  How does one get that part installed?  Is it a separate product?

What is the version number from the About box?

The one I downloaded is WS_FTP Professional 2007 and they claimed on their support pages that in 7.0 they stopped installing the Windows Explorer shell extension...

I'm wondering if you were to uninstall and then upgrade to a newer version of their software if your troubles would go away?

Thanks,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 10:25:14 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 04:44:24 PM »
I meant to come back here sooner, sigh ... I upgraded to the current version of WSFTP and no longer seem to have the problem with PM hanging at shutdown ... thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »
Dwight,

I meant to come back here sooner, sigh ... I upgraded to the current version of WSFTP and no longer seem to have the problem with PM hanging at shutdown ... thanks!

That's good to hear.

Thanks for the follow-up,

-Kirk